Rise of the Separatists- fighting in squads???

By swordfishson, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Beginner Game

So i'm proud to say i bought RotS last Friday and i am finding this book to be SUPER AWESOME!!! But i have questions about fighting in squads and i guess the Droid Phalanxes too.

1. I think the book is pretty clear but once minions join a squad they lose their turn completely right? Like they only provide bonus/ set back die??

2. How would members or a squad be killed or incapacitated, if so how does that effect the squad mechanically?

3. Can someone just try explaining Phalanxes to me. I understand what they are just not how they work exactly.

Thanks everyone for your help previously and on these questions and any future questions!

May the Force be with you!!

Both these rule sets were written by @KRKappel

He would be the best source of explanation.

11 hours ago, swordfishson said:

1. I think the book is pretty clear but once minions join a squad they lose their turn completely right? Like they only provide bonus/ set back die??

Yes.

2. How would members or a squad be killed or incapacitated, if so how does that effect the squad mechanically?

Anytime the squad takes damage or the leader redirects damage from himself to the squad, the squad looses one member per hit .

3. Can someone just try explaining Phalanxes to me. I understand what they are just not how they work exactly.

Think of it as a Minion Group, with Minion Groups behind it. It operates as a Minion Group with a size equal to its width but cannot spend more than one Maneuver to Move each round. Each time you kill one, the one behind it steps up to take its place. If you destroy droids equal to the width of the column (the front row, basically), it loses its Maneuver. If the PCs then destroy twice the width of the column before its next turn, it is pushed back a range band (i.e. Short to Medium). For example: you have a column that is 4 droids across. On round 1, before the droids go, you take out 4 droids. On their next turn, they lose their Maneuver, but they can still fire. Then, if you take out 8 droids (or spend a Triumph for the this purpose) before their next turn, they are pushed back a range band.

The rules about getting overrun are fairly self-explanatory, but do you need them cleared up?

4 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Yes.

Anytime the squad takes damage or the leader redirects damage from himself to the squad, the squad looses one member per hit .

Think of it as a Minion Group, with Minion Groups behind it. It operates as a Minion Group with a size equal to its width but cannot spend more than one Maneuver to Move each round. Each time you kill one, the one behind it steps up to take its place. If you destroy droids equal to the width of the column (the front row, basically), it loses its Maneuver. If the PCs then destroy twice the width of the column before its next turn, it is pushed back a range band (i.e. Short to Medium). For example: you have a column that is 4 droids across. On round 1, before the droids go, you take out 4 droids. On their next turn, they lose their Maneuver, but they can still fire. Then, if you take out 8 droids (or spend a Triumph for the this purpose) before their next turn, they are pushed back a range band.

The rules about getting overrun are fairly self-explanatory, but do you need them cleared up?

Thank you so much, this helped a lot!!!

I think i'm good on Phalanxes.

Do the minions lose their Wound threshold and or soak when in a squad?

4 hours ago, swordfishson said:

Thank you so much, this helped a lot!!!

I think i'm good on Phalanxes.

Do the minions lose their Wound threshold and or soak when in a squad?

Yes. It is simply a matter of one-hit kill. If you use an HRB on Auto-fire and trigger 4 hits of 17 damage each, you kill 4 droids because it is one kill per hit.

Awesome!! Thank you so much for answering my questions. You have been a huge help!!

May the force be with you!!!