By Merlin1066, in Runewars Miniatures Game

Just getting into the game.

Got quite a bit from the sales.

Going to be trying to get at least one of everything released.Then to figure-out what others i need multiples of.

Joined the FB page and tried to join the UK one but it seems to be dead.

Been looking at the forums and seen posts about new material.Also seen questions about suitable miniatures for the game for new units.

Got the RPG book coming to find-out more about the setting.

Loving the look of the Uthuk and the art work for their settlements.

Would love to help-out getting new figures done for the game.

Welcome! There's a few of us still out here, but we are scattered across the world. I haven't had much time to put in to community support recently, but plan on trying to update my campaign more frequently soon.

This is seriously one of the best games ever. If you can find a friend to play it, you will find endless hours of enjoyment!

There were plans to get some community card expansions rolling, but that has sort of dithered away, but could easily be revived.

I had been watching the range grow but only bought into it in the sales.

Some great sculpts in the range.

Got the Realms of Terrinoth book the other-day.Need to sit and read through that.Had a flick through and saw a few nice pictures and character types that would make great figures.

I run a small miniatures venture called Four A miniatures.Been very lucky to have had some great sculptors do pieces for me.Also had some very talented painters do some display pieces.

One picture i did like was the Orc on six legged Lizard.That would need to be on a much bigger base.

There are definitely some figures I would love to see added to the game (for instance, Ashrian Spirit-speaker). If you are in the mini making business, that gives me a lot of hope!

Just need to find art work to work from or see about getting some done.

Would be great to have more options for the game including new units and factions.

On 1/2/2020 at 9:42 AM, Merlin1066 said:

What other idea's do you have for other characters,units,artifacts and terrain?

I like the idea of having other races available for the game.Dwarves and Catfolk would be nice to see as would a character for the Ventala.

Merlin,

I hope you don't mind me answering your question here. I want to keep the other thread to discussion about the Minor Champions expansion if possible.

As someone who both adores this game and obsesses way too much over game design, I'll try to give some reasonably concise thoughts on your questions.

Characters: I actually like the current pool of heroes a lot and feel they offer a reasonable variety for each faction. However, I would like more efficient ways to get champions into infantry units by getting variant champion upgrades. A cav version of Ardus for Death Knights that isn't as expensive or powerful as his current infantry upgrade. Even if it just adds his surge ability or just adds a white die. Hawthorne and Maro could also use this treatment, as they are both a bit pricey and situational. A new cav version of Maro that doesn't raise dead but instead gives Regeneration [stable] to the unit might be interesting on a Death Knight unit with lingering dead...

Units: Similar to characters, I really like the available unit pool for each faction as they are currently. I don't mind the idea of rounding out each race with 2 siege units and 2 cav units (adding a new siege unit to Waiqar, Daqan, and Latari and adding an additional cav unit to Uthuk). Not sure what they would be though. Ideally they would offer something new and different while still staying within the established themes of each faction. This is a pretty tight space to work in. Considering that more isn't always more and new units can easily just cause existing units to be outclassed by new options, I'm not sure its a good idea.

Artifacts: I want more faction specific artifacts like Viscera Goblet and Obcasiums Gauntlet. These items are useful, reasonably costed, and bring a lot of flavor. Daqan in particular needs something better/more interesting than what's currently available. Some useful but reasonably cheap neutral artifacts might also be interesting. Even something as simple as a very cheap item that give's steadfast(x) would bee pretty useful in rounding out lists.

Terrain: Some of my terrain ideas tend to break from the current enter/exit-style terrain rules. In particular I'd like large terrain features that have a small effect and don't block movement as heavily as the current pieces do. For example, a stream that crosses the battlefield and lowers marches across it by 1, perhaps forcing units to stop at the stream if they cannot clear it in one move. A smaller iteration of the same idea might be a low wall piece that can be crossed in the same way, but gives units touching it cover 1 from ranged fire that would cross it and allows opposing units on either side of the wall touching it to be engaged in melee. As a side note, I don't know why the graveyard doesn't give regenerate to nearby or at least occupying Waiqar infantry. As it is currently, it doesn't feel like Waiqar specific terrain at all. Feels like a missed opportunity to me.

Races: I want an Orc army. I'd like to see a design for them that features very tough units that can take a beating but are a little more expensive and tend to come in lower formation numbers. An army that can reasonably run 2x1's of infantry and feels swarmy and tough. There is a lot to play with here, but I like the idea of starting with 1/1 protected 2 infantry that have hit on the dial and something like "This unit gains brutal 1 when it has only 1 tray." Maybe a "Pack Tactics" training upgrade that gives them something like lethal x where x is the number of friendly units at range 1-2. Might make for a good reasons to build multiple 2x1's or even 2x2's of them.

While this stuff is really fun to discuss, it would be a pretty large endeavor to design all of it without potentially destroying the game as it exists, which is truly magnificent. My plan is to focus on the minor champion expansion for at least the next 6 months and get it as tightly tuned as I can before approaching any of these other problems. If I do feel it is complete at some point I'll decide if I'm going to try to tackle something else...

A great reply QuickWhit.

I was thinking of new pieces for other character types to help differentiate them on the tabletop.

Other race characters could add new benefits to the game too.Some Merc type units that certain factions can use but not all factions.

The Orcs seem to have a very World of Warcraft look to them in the art which i have seen.

Need to start reading the Realms book to get more info on the setting.

Been busy cleaning mould lines off figures and getting them together.

I also just bought into this game as well, I couldn't resist this sale. (Im more into Imperial Assault and Armada but I just couldn't bring myself to buy into Legion and I didn't care for them going into the clone wars direction and dividing the eras, but I digress)

I like the art of these minis. (not a fan of warhammer, I feel their art is illogical, hard to explain) I agree these definitely have a more warcrafty look to them. I am using them to start learning to paint my minis and I wanted to get into a rank and file game system so this seems like a good choice. I already picked up the official play maps (man, they are hard to find in stock).

Edited by Viperho

I have some of the Legion figures.Very nice and some nice poses.

Not got the Clone Wars starter yet though.

They look to be adding quite a bit of new stuff to both time periods.

Watched the Mandolorian and thought that it was great.Hope to see more series in a similar vein to it in the not to distant future.

As to what miniatures you like i can say that i get carried away with miniatures.Just got way too many with more coming all of the time.Some really cool designs coming out form many different sources.

Got the Baron on order now.He is the last of the releases i was missing.

I'm close to completing my collection, the only gaps being out of stock, stuff has been getting reprints and I've filled in a few previously unavailable gaps now so fingers crossed for the currently unavailable ones. Runewars core BGG rating 7.7 so fans love it even if Asmodee less so :( ...

These figures are so beautiful and I especially adore the companion creatures/mounts all of which have been very well designed like Hawthorne's steed, the Daqan cavalry's horses and the intimidating opposites of Waiqar's death knights, Zachareth's chunky four legged rune beast ( :) ), Maegan with her monster moose (which I've now decided is some sort of Uthuk-corrupted moose re her backstory and its o.t.t mega-antlers which echo uthuk bony-ness), Kethra's flesh ripper and the beastmaster's beast, the appropriately 'icky' carrion worms, Ankaur's bone horror mount (which is a really clever development of the bone horrors from the other games), the Latari's leonx ❤️ , Prince Faolan's cyrssaerele Silanel - again ❤️ the animal (wish you could get these just as creatures as well to have some wild ones for game use, sadly unlike the carrion lancers I figured it was probably too tricky to custom these to just the creatures, I'll have to look at the unassembled model and see how do-able it would be. Although it's so adorably awesome maybe keeping it a one-off adds to its lore and mythology value- Faolan has the only one known of, maybe the last surviving one, actually that might be a concept to use in my RPG project! :) )

Easy to see why people were buying them at last year's UK Games Expo just on the strength of the appeal of the minis without knowing about the game in some cases (I asked a few people who were also buying when I was buying some sets just to gauge interest).