Issues glueing the downed atst model

By jconway2002, in Terrain Building

I am in the process of assembling the downed atst model, but I am having issues glueing the head down. I am using loctite super glue gel, and it worked well for the leg, but isn't working so well for the head and other pieces. Perhaps I am using too much glue? Could that cause a problem with drying? Is seems the head isn't making very good contact with the base, so, my question is: if it is safe to use hot glue on this model or not?

A problem with Contact is that this model gets easily warped in package, particulary the base. Check to see if the base can lie flat and if not, you can put it in warm water (boil and let it rest) then bend it into shape.

Too much glue can also be a problem.

I would be reluctant to use hot glue. I've had some bad experiences with hot glue and thin(ner) plastics as the glue contracts as it cools and can exacerbate warpage.

On 12/28/2019 at 6:19 PM, jocke01 said:

A problem with Contact is that this model gets easily warped in package, particulary the base. Check to see if the base can lie flat and if not, you can put it in warm water (boil and let it rest) then bend it into shape.

Too much glue can also be a problem.

When I bought mine the base was fairly badly warped. I fixed it by leaving it outside in the sun on a cookie sheet for a few hours

I don't yet have this particular model, but I do know that superglue won't cure if there's too much of it. In fact, to avoid gluing the lids to the bottles, I actually just leave my bottles of superglue uncapped all the time and the glue inside never dries. You can cure a big glob of it with either accelerator spray or by sprinkling in baking soda. Both options leave the glue looking messy, though. As I don't have the model in question, I'm not sure if that would be an appropriate choice.

try a two-part epoxy glue or put a lump of greenstuff under the head then press the head down until it looks right.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I had originally flattened the base out in hot water...it wasn't perfect but as close as I could get. I think my problem was not giving the superglue enough time to set. I am new to assembling miniature's, and all my experiences so far have been with small figures, where the glue seems to set almost immediately. On my second go around assembling this model, I made sure not to use too much glue, and I gave it plenty of time to set. The model seems solid now.

Tldr: flatten the base in hot water, don't use too much superglue, and give it plenty of time to set.

Glad to hear it turned out well. 🙂