Imperial Law Revolt!

By Eisenmerc, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

Am I the only one who sees the new banned list as overly oppressive? Why not simply keep these cards restricted to limit their use? Forbidding the use of cards in their entirety is quite a heavy handed move. Can you imagine the reaction of a new player trying to get into the game? "So I need to get several core sets but I also have to throw out some of those cards because of bans?"

I know there are a lot of moving parts to a game this size and the design team is doing the best they can, but I can't help but think a little more playtesting would have solved a lot of these problems. I for one won't be following the new Imperial Law in my local playgroup. If that means I won't be attending any more official events then so be it.

Edited by Eisenmerc

A ban list is long, long over due. Tyler explained his reasons in the article today and for my mind, his reasons are very difficult to argue with.

There are some absolutely degenerate cards that should have never been printed and the only way to address them without extensive errata is just to ban them in competitive play.

Your argument hasn't received much traction in the global L5R Facebook group, I doubt it will see too much here either.

I see the ban list as being a shot in the arm my local group needs to potentially entice some lapsed players back, being assured that problem cards are being looked at and addressed with good reasons.

1 hour ago, Eisenmerc said:

Why not simply keep these cards restricted to limit their use?

Because that's not good enough to keep them from negatively impacting the game.

Look at Charge and how it effects that game. For Greater Glory wasn't technically banned, but because of Charge and it being on the restricted list it effectively was.

Edited by miguelj

I agree. The ban list is a good move. I don't see how it can be considered "oppresive". Specially now that the roles have been freed which is something many wanted. Like, you've been givne a lot of new opportunitues and now you complain a bucnh of cards are taken away? Doenst make much sense

It's not. Its a breath of fresh air, and doesn't just nerf/ban for the sake of it. It's balance. Much needed balance after two years of a game where some origin cards were created with a rule of cool state of mind, instead of a balanced one.

Now if they could stop fillers, coasters and useless cards just to amp the pool that would be great. I dont care about suddenly not being able to play 9 cards, I'm more annoyed about the dozens of useless one that don't/won't see play but I had to acquire anyway.

5 hours ago, miguelj said:

Because that's not good enough to keep them from negatively impacting the game.

Look at Charge and how it effects that game. For Greater Glory wasn't technically banned, but because of Charge and it being on the restricted list it effectively was.

It's a pity though because Charge practically kept Lion afloat currently, no clue how they'll drop without it.

5 hours ago, Nitenman said:

Now if they could stop fillers, coasters and useless cards just to amp the pool that would be great. I dont care about suddenly not being able to play 9 cards, I'm more annoyed about the dozens of useless one that don't/won't see play but I had to acquire anyway.

Specialized Defenses and Fair Accord, I am looking at you.

13 hours ago, ZebioLizard2 said:

It's a pity though because Charge practically kept Lion afloat currently, no clue how they'll drop without it.

Raise the Alarm and stand effects, it will be Lion's only hope.

On 12/28/2019 at 3:13 AM, Eisenmerc said:

Can you imagine the reaction of a new player trying to get into the game? "So I need to get several core sets but I also have to throw out some of those cards because of bans?"

It's two cards from the Core Set! Less than 1% of the total.
If it was 10% of the cards that were banned, I could see someone having an issue buying in.

And a new player should be able to understand the benefits, so long as they get a reasonable explanation.
"This one card, it breaks the economy of the game."
"This other one stops you playing cards."

Also if hes new you can just tellmhim there are some banned cards but not to worry about it and just play with everything and then incorportae the banned list. **** we do that even for "normal" stuff with new players here and teach a simplified way of the game. First without roles and, if the person is too new or it might bw too much, even without ring wffects ubtil they grasp the basics

From a competitive standpoint the only cards on the banlist that would see play if they only were on the restricted list are Tadaka and Charge.

While I think that the cost cheating argument is quite a weak one, Charge is probably too strong with the aggro cards we recently got and the ones that we will get in the next cycle.