Melee Maneuvers

By cburto, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion RPG

Hello,

I have started playing this system using a melee character and there is 1 issue i need answering.

Does it take 1 maneuver to got from medium to engaged or 2?

Now i know the range bands are medium-short-engaged however it would make sense for the melee character to choose where in the short band he arrives and that would be next to the enemy since engaged is a subset of short.

Is there any clear rules on which way round it is?

Thanks!

I takes a Maneuver to engage an enemy from Short range, and a Maneuver to disengage an enemy from Engaged range. The assumption is that you are moving forward fairly cautiously rather then running straight up exposed, like you would to cover or something. AoR CRB page 221:

Consider Engaged as a sub-category of Short range. Obviously, someone can be slightly farther away if they are at short range, instead of being Engaged with someone else. However, the difference in distance is relatively minor. Thus, spending a Maneuver to Engage someone or something is as much a matter of moving into combat cautiously enough to avoid receiving a blow unnecessarily as it is moving a physical distance.

20 hours ago, cburto said:

Does it take 1 maneuver to got from medium to engaged or 2?

It takes 2 manoeuvres to engage from medium range. One to go from medium to short and a second to engage when within short range.

Thanks for the replies!

As a GM I sometime let characters get from medium to engaged if they explicitly say they charge. I add setbacks and/or strain depending on how they narrate the action.

But this is an adaptation of mine. The rule explicitly considers engaged as a 1-maneuver-far range band from short, as stated above.