Card explanation

By lapiduch, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

Hello guys i recently get my hands on this great game but i need Your help guys 😁 πŸ‘ . I lost 1st 3 scenarios but im pretty sure its because i dont understand cards. Just 1 ex. card Hunter 9 . There is printed ability (During your turn, you may discard this skill to apply 3 hits and pierce to nearby enemy) and fraze Sprint 1. So my question is - if i prepare this card

1. Can i play both printed text and Sprint? Or only 1

2. If i use only Sprint do i need to discard this card after or its allways active (until i decide to use printed ability which says discard) ?

Other thing i want to know is about for example Berevor's recommended item Travelers cloak(? Sry if i pronounce it wrong i dont have eng version of the game 😁 πŸ‘ ).

1st line says that you can raise your fear by 1.

2nd line is something about preventing 1 of the facedown dmg before i recieve it.

How to play this item card? Is it allways active? Can i use 2nd line in all situations or only once? Can this card be removed from board during an adventure by any means?

Hunter 9
1. You can only use one of the lines. So either choose to discard the card and apply 3 hits and pierce to a nearby enemy. Or Sprint 1 [and discard with part 2 of your question].

2. If you use the bold ability on a card like, Sprint 1 , you will discard the card.

You only discard the card if it says to do so in the text or if what you are using is in bold. There are some cards that allow bonuses for a bold ability on prepared cards. In example, Pathfinder 12 does not say to discard the card for the first line. "After you Sprint , you may move 1 additional space". So if you Sprint 1 , you will discard the sprint card and Sprint 2 but not discard Pathfinder 12.

Traveler's cloak

1. You increase your fear limit by 1

2. If you receive a damage as face-down you can choose to not take the damage. Most damage is face-up damage so getting the term face-down is very rare.

Traveler's cloak is always active and never goes away. So, if you receive 2 face-down damage in an attack or event you can choose to only take 1 damage.

Edited by Thaeggan
always

Is there an, bettwr item than traveler's cloak?

Im playing solo with Berevor pathfinder and Legolas hunter. Im getting used to it 😁 . I won 1st chapter but lost 2nd by my stupid mistake. I underestimated little tΓ­me i have and strength of the boss. Berevor was overewhelmed and killed and Legolas defeat boss but has only 2 success after his death and he respawned with full health and kill Legolas as well πŸ˜‚ 😁 . But i learned a lot from it.

The items level up eventually when you have enough lore points. If you go with Cloak instead of Travel Garb to start, you can eventually get to Slip-Thorn which has an agility stat to give 2 hits and pierce on a success. This would be good for Legolas.

It really comes down to preference. Both the Cloak and Travel Garb are worth having.

Maybe in a orher game i choose cloak for Legolas.

I have another question if i may 😁 . If i choose 2 weapons for character how to attack? Should i perform 2 tests (1 for each weapon?)

Another thing.... i want to choose battle axe for aragorn. Will it work?

You can only use two weapons if they test with the same stat, and even then you only make one test. You then spend your successes on hit lines from either weapon.

6 hours ago, lapiduch said:

I have another question if i may 😁 . If i choose 2 weapons for character how to attack? Should i perform 2 tests (1 for each weapon?)

You can have two weapons, but you can only use one stat to test and you can only test once per action [you have two actions per turn]. So if you have the sword and dagger, you would test either might or wit and could only use the sword if you chose might and only the dagger if you chose wit.

As long as the character has enough hands you can use the weapon. So Aragorn can use the battle axe, but he cant use the sword with the battle axe because that would require three hands. The only character that has a restriction in the original game box is Bilbo who can only have a single hand item. His rule about it is written at the bottom of his character card.

Pretty much the only hesitation I would say about using any weapon for a character is the stats available for the test. 3 cards for a test is good, but not great. So as tempting as it would be to go double dagger Legolas, the chances of getting 4 successes to utilize the second dagger is low but it would be amazing when done.

9 minutes ago, Thaeggan said:

You can have two weapons, but you can only use one stat to test and you can only test once per action [you have two actions per turn]. So if you have the sword and dagger, you would test either might or wit and could only use the sword if you chose might and only the dagger if you chose wit.

As long as the character has enough hands you can use the weapon. So Aragorn can use the battle axe, but he cant use the sword with the battle axe because that would require three hands. The only character that has a restriction in the original game box is Bilbo who can only have a single hand item. His rule about it is written at the bottom of his character card.

Pretty much the only hesitation I would say about using any weapon for a character is the stats available for the test. 3 cards for a test is good, but not great. So as tempting as it would be to go double dagger Legolas, the chances of getting 4 successes to utilize the second dagger is low but it would be amazing when done.

No 😁 i mean that i will substitute sword and banner for battle axe πŸ˜‚ ... At least i want to, but question is, is it any good in long run?

26 minutes ago, Wandalf the Gizzard said:

You can only use two weapons if they test with the same stat, and even then you only make one test. You then spend your successes on hit lines from either weapon.

Ah i see

3 minutes ago, lapiduch said:

No 😁 i mean that i will substitute sword and banner for battle axe πŸ˜‚ ... At least i want to, but question is, is it any good in long run?

Sure it will work. If you arent expecting to, Rest, Guard, or Hide it makes since to use the battle axe instead because the banner would not be utilized at all until it is max level where somehow the banner gives cleave in a might or wit test.

You could also do sword and harp since the harp does not require a test to use. Then again, the battle axe damage is amazing.

On 12/27/2019 at 12:24 AM, lapiduch said:

I wouldn't recommend Battle Axe for Aragorn because Aragorn is unlikely to get more damage from it with only 3 might. Also, you probably will be resting, guarding, or hiding and that banner will be moderately useful at least. Strider gives guarding.

That being said, I've used him with the axe and it was pretty fun. I find it funny to use different starting weapons. I prefer sword and harp for Aragorn though.