Cost of Conversion

By Mistrfield, in X-Wing Squad Builder

This past week I purchased my first core set: Force Awakens. I also bought the Millennium Falcon and Slave 1. I didn't know about the whole 1st/2nd edition versions. What I purchased is all 1st edition.

Unless I misunderstand something, I have;

• First Order Ties
  • Resistance Xwing
  • Rebelion Falcon
  • Scum Slave 1

My question is--do I need 4 different conversion kits to become current? If I do, it seems for me it would be cheaper to just buy a new core set, Falcon, and Slave.

Am I missing something?

On 12/24/2019 at 7:59 AM, Mistrfield said:

This past week I purchased my first core set: Force Awakens. I also bought the Millennium Falcon and Slave 1. I didn't know about the whole 1st/2nd edition versions. What I purchased is all 1st edition.

Unless I misunderstand something, I have;

• First Order Ties
  • Resistance Xwing
  • Rebelion Falcon
  • Scum Slave 1

My question is--do I need 4 different conversion kits to become current? If I do, it seems for me it would be cheaper to just buy a new core set, Falcon, and Slave.

Am I missing something?

Conversion kits aren't really for the size collection you've got there. A rebel conversion kit for example provides the maneuver dials (the primary choke point in bringing 1st Edition models to second edition) for this quantity of models:

Rebel Alliance Conversion Kit

3 – A-wing
2 – ARC-170
2 – Auzituck Gunship
2 – B-wing
2 – E-wing
2 – Ghost
2 – HWK-290
2 – K-wing
2 – Millennium Falcon
2 – Phantom I
2 – Phantom II
2 – Sabine’s TIE Fighter
2 – U-wing
2 – X-wing
2 – Y-wing
2 – YT-2400
4 – Z-95 Headhunter

You can put the Falcon and X-wing on the Ties and Slave 1 and play the 1st Edition version of the game. Play some games at home with a buddy and get a feel for if you like it. Depending on how often you play you might have enough stuff.

If you do like it you're probably better off just getting 2nd Edition expansions. If you want to add the models you have to their second edition factions you can then go to eBay and try and find some single 2.0 conversion bits though those tend to be tougher to find for the popular ships like X-wings and Falcons.

Of course you could also pick up a large 1st Edition collection someone is parting with that would make the conversion kits more useful.

Awesome, thanks for sharing. One last question, aside from ships, are any cards/cardboard pieces worth keeping?

4 hours ago, Mistrfield said:

Awesome, thanks for sharing. One last question, aside from ships, are any cards/cardboard pieces worth keeping?

I kept mine but I am a pack rat. Up to you and your circumstances.

I would suggest hanging on to your shield tokens for sure. If you go the route of buying some more 1e ships and get a conversion kit you wont have enough for most Rebel lists.

Also,the range ruler, the obstacles, and device cardboard are all still legal in 2e. A few devices haven't been released yet but so far they have used the same tokens, they just added a white boarder to one side

Pretty much the only things you can't use in 2e are the dials and ship tokens. They also don't want people using the maneuvering templates because they don't have the center line but it could be fine for casual games.

Just to clarify the above 2.0 terminology, 'devices' refers to bomb and mine templates, Slave 1 comes wih a bomb I think? That can be kept for 2.0.

On 1/9/2020 at 3:28 AM, rawbean said:

Just to clarify the above 2.0 terminology, 'devices' refers to bomb and mine templates, Slave 1 comes wih a bomb I think? That can be kept for 2.0.

Correct. "Bombs" were called " Devices" when 2.0 first started up. Now they are called "Payload". The suggestion was to keep the cardboard token for those bombs as they can be used in 2.0 (along with asteroids).

Search in ebay for single ship conversion bundles. Some come cheap, some are awfully.expensive.

On 12/28/2019 at 5:07 PM, Mistrfield said:

One thing I just discovered, now that I'm newly able to fly 8 of them: the FO Tie dial is one of a small handful of ships whose dial did NOT change from version to version (other than the green arrows turning blue, obviously).

So, if you do decide to switch to version 2.0, hold onto those dials!