Favorite Kyber Crystal?

By OtterJethro, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

36 minutes ago, MB -Fr- said:

uh, no sorry

the maximum lightsabers can get is breach 2 with 10 damage/breach 3 + 10 damage with the fusion shunt (with massive dice penalties if you try to attack normally with it)

the fusion shunt is precisely modeled to represent qui-gon melting the door with his saber in ep I, btw

to damage vehicles, your total personal damage must EXCEED armor (page 230 F&D core, don't remember other core books)

if your GM is generous, just slap a superior customization for 11 damage + breach 2/3 with shunt and you'll be able to crit armor 3/4 for 1 personal damage point above this threshold

if he isn't, you'll only be able to crit armor 2/3 max

Actually, there is a way to get around that. With the Zophis crystal for 2 HP and Breach 2, then the Fusion Shunt to push that to Breach 3, and then Jury Rigged can push that up to Breach 4. I'm sure there are other things you can do to push that up even further, but if you mod the Zophis crystal up to 10 damage, that would actually allow you to pierce armor 5 targets every time, and with a crit rating of 2 (that I'm sure you can reduce with attachments/talents/something) it's pretty easy to crit. Especially if you then grab Superior for that automatic 1 Advantage. (And that still leaves you with 1 HP left)

With all of the above, and assuming that you can reduce the Crit by one, here's what an attack with 1 Success (flat) would look like against an armor 5 target:

12 damage, Breach 4, does .2 HT to the target, but gets past armor. Auto-crit (Crit 1+Superior) with Vicious 1.

Edited by P-47 Thunderbolt
58 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Actually, there is a way to get around that. With the Zophis crystal for 2 HP and Breach 2, then the Fusion Shunt to push that to Breach 3, and then Jury Rigged can push that up to Breach 4. I'm sure there are other things you can do to push that up even further, but if you mod the Zophis crystal up to 10 damage, that would actually allow you to pierce armor 5 targets every time, and with a crit rating of 2 (that I'm sure you can reduce with attachments/talents/something) it's pretty easy to crit. Especially if you then grab Superior for that automatic 1 Advantage. (And that still leaves you with 1 HP left)

With all of the above, and assuming that you can reduce the Crit by one, here's what an attack with 1 Success (flat) would look like against an armor 5 target:

12 damage, Breach 4, does .2 HT to the target, but gets past armor. Auto-crit (Crit 1+Superior) with Vicious 1.

I might be nitpicking or they may be an official ruling I don't know but...

here's the official text for jury rigged:

"The character chooses one personal weapon or piece
of armor per rank of Jury Rigged. He may increase the
damage of the weapon by one; decrease the Advantage
cost on its Critical, or any single other effect by
one to a minimum of one; or increase armor's ranged or
melee defense by one. Alternatively, he can decrease
the encumbrance of the item by two to a minimum of
one. The bonus only applies so long as the character
is using the item. If the item is ever lost or destroyed,
the character may apply Jury Rigged to a new personal
weapon or piece or armor."

If I read this correctly, breach CANNOT be raised with this talent, nor can any other quality be RAISED.

the only thing it can increase on weapons is the damage. honestly I think it has been worded that way precisely to avoid this kind of powergaming

honestly I am okay with people downing ties with a lightsaber throw if correctly modded, but what you suggest allows them to destroy AT-ATs. that's quite the game breaking stuff

Edited by MB -Fr-

Ah, whoops. You're right. I knew that, I guess I just didn't think it through.

As for game breaking, lightsabers kinda are. There are a lot of issues with the way they are handled from a "what we see on screen" perspective, but I accept that from a game-balance perspective, the way they are handled makes sense. For attacking something like an AT-AT, I think that it is on such a different scale of combat that it is better handled narratively when dealing with PCs that aren't inside a vehicle. More like a dramatic set piece than an opponent. To that end, I would consider allowing PCs to attempt to cut the legs off the thing with a lightsaber, even though mechanically it doesn't make a ton of sense (though it would still take some effort, possibly requiring at least a couple rounds to fully cut through. Same with an AT-ST, but that is largely because they are walkers. For repulsorcraft and starfighters, it would default to the more normal rules because there are fewer obvious targets.

though it mechanically doesn't make sense, it does happen in canon in fact. In rebels Kanan does just that in the episode where they meet Leia, cutting the leg of an AT-AT

but I agree it works better if handled narratively, with a modded saber + some triumph rolled

fun fact though, if very experienced with the seek power last control upgrade and perception + cunning at least equal to 10 in addition of your modded saber, your build works since you have the equivalent of breach+1

and that I am fine with because it represent a significant xp investment instead of just lucky rolls when building the saber

If it was me GM'ing, I'd say my players would have to 'call the shot,' using the rule of adding two black dice to target a specific part, representing the difficulty of trying to cut through ultra-thick armor. If they succeed, they get to roll for crit, or the narrative event they're going for occurs ('the walker topples over and several banged up troops crawl out the hatch.')

Edited by StriderZessei
Typos
5 hours ago, MB -Fr- said:

though it mechanically doesn't make sense, it does happen in canon in fact. In rebels Kanan does just that in the episode where they meet Leia, cutting the leg of an AT-AT

but I agree it works better if handled narratively, with a modded saber + some triumph rolled

fun fact though, if very experienced with the seek power last control upgrade and perception + cunning at least equal to 10 in addition of your modded saber, your build works since you have the equivalent of breach+1

and that I am fine with because it represent a significant xp investment instead of just lucky rolls when building the saber

Those werent AT ATs. they are an earlier version ands so have weaker leg armor. which were upgraded such that by Empire they are not vulnerable in that way...

15 hours ago, MB -Fr- said:

I have been thinking about this for a while, but after re-reading the core rulebook I do not think it would work.

It is statet, that Breach 1 ignores 1 point of Armor, and that this means that it will also ignore 10 points of Soak.

It does not state that it also works the other way around.

For Pierce it only says, that each point of Pierce ignores one point of Soak. So Pierce 10 is only this, Pierce 10, and not Breach 1.

As Pierce has no effect on Armor, Pierce 10 cannot ignore Armor 1.

Correct?

3 hours ago, Rogues Rule said:

I have been thinking about this for a while, but after re-reading the core rulebook I do not think it would work.

It is statet, that Breach 1 ignores 1 point of Armor, and that this means that it will also ignore 10 points of Soak.

It does not state that it also works the other way around.

For Pierce it only says, that each point of Pierce ignores one point of Soak. So Pierce 10 is only this, Pierce 10, and not Breach 1.

As Pierce has no effect on Armor, Pierce 10 cannot ignore Armor 1.

Correct?

It's stated that 1 Armor = 10 Soak, so in the very unlikely situation something had Pierce 10, I'd let it negate 1 Armor.