Squabble new game format WIP

By jocke01, in Star Wars: Legion

Hi

Introducing a new Legion format. You have played Standard, you have heard about skirmish now experience Squabble!

Squabble is a game mode I have been working on in theory for a little while. With the introducing of skirmish, I decided to write down my thoughts and use some of the skrimish template. Squabble is a "kill team" style game mode for Legion where models act idependently as single units and plays like a small strike team. What about imperial assault you ask?
Yes imperial assault is a fun game, but this is made for people who only plays legion and want to use their own models and legion style rules and terrain.

I think the possibility of this game mode gives extra space for making a unique squad of converted models and custom units (looking at you mandalorian fans). Also feel free to test different missions and deployments, you could use this a template for small missions to add in a narrative campaign. Perhaps a player uses 2 hero models vs a bunch of corps models.

This version is not tester and I have made some clarifications and erratas to problems I have foressen, but you might find stuff that are broken or just don't work. Please test it out and let me know. Balance might be total out of wack, but it's not a standard game mode so of course things might be unbalanced. However I think it can be fun way to play legion and helps players that want to just play with a small ammount of units or perhaps have a core set worth of a faction that now works a army with different options.

Squabble 1.0 pdf.pdf

I'm going to wait for the heated argument mode..

I'm building a campaign spanning multiple worlds and using WotC Star Wars Miniatures Battle rules for what you are describing: small kill-team sized skirmishes, Legion armies for larger ground conflicts, and fleets from Armada for space battles. Have you looked into the WotC SWM rules? I used to have a ton of the things and the rules seem perfect for skirmish battles of 10 or less minis/faction. What's more, I think all the stat cards are available for free.

The reason I'm such a supporter of these rules is because in my campaign I'm building, the player character/squad can have different abilities that would have a greater impact in skirmish than a large battle. Numeric stats for HP, attack, defense, etc. and TONS of keywords (Over 1000 unique minis for that line if I remember right) to create a character that does exactly what you want it to on the battlefield. In Legion, battles are chaotic and the results are quick. It's a nice change of pace to slow down the flow of battle into turn-by-turn decisions by each individual trooper/character.

Anyway, thought I'd throw out that suggestion. Porting that system seemed much easier to me than coming up with an entire new ruleset. Regardless, I am writing this prior to reading your pdf and I'm super anxious to see what you've got for us!

PDF is unavailable for me...

1 hour ago, Dcalov said:

I'm building a campaign spanning multiple worlds and using WotC Star Wars Miniatures Battle rules for what you are describing: small kill-team sized skirmishes, Legion armies for larger ground conflicts, and fleets from Armada for space battles. Have you looked into the WotC SWM rules? I used to have a ton of the things and the rules seem perfect for skirmish battles of 10 or less minis/faction. What's more, I think all the stat cards are available for free.

The reason I'm such a supporter of these rules is because in my campaign I'm building, the player character/squad can have different abilities that would have a greater impact in skirmish than a large battle. Numeric stats for HP, attack, defense, etc. and TONS of keywords (Over 1000 unique minis for that line if I remember right) to create a character that does exactly what you want it to on the battlefield. In Legion, battles are chaotic and the results are quick. It's a nice change of pace to slow down the flow of battle into turn-by-turn decisions by each individual trooper/character.

Anyway, thought I'd throw out that suggestion. Porting that system seemed much easier to me than coming up with an entire new ruleset. Regardless, I am writing this prior to reading your pdf and I'm super anxious to see what you've got for us!

Sound cool, yeah I think a nice way to do these kind of battles is to just use imperial assault rules or like you Said the old star wars game. I haven't looked at those rules, but it might work.

This is made with using existing legion models, tokens and terrain. I did not write a ton of rules, instead I copied alot of the skirmish rules set and the only big change is the individual models as units. Planning om using this as a option in a future campaign when our current is finished and or for quick games with few models.

2 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

I'm going to wait for the heated argument mode..

Okey...

36 minutes ago, Staelwulf said:

PDF is unavailable for me...

Hmm can none of you guys read the PDF? I thought it would work, by just posting it. Maybe i need a host site or something

Unavaiable

I was able to read it earlier. It was not entirely clear but I didn't see any standard point value and also it seemed to indicate that every model has its own command token. I mean, you take 2 units of Rebel Troopers with no heavies and you're already talking about 8 Corps tokens...

Hmm, PDF dosen't seem to work and most feedback I have recieved is negative. Gonna keep this to my local group

On 12/24/2019 at 1:00 AM, jocke01 said:

Hmm, PDF dosen't seem to work and most feedback I have recieved is negative. Gonna keep this to my local group

I do like it!

It sounds great, I just haven't been able to see the rules.

Imperial Assault Skirmish was the best game FFG put in my opinion. It just never saw any support from FFG. If we took a similar structure and took it off the grid so to speak, I think that would be a blast. I haven't played Necromunda in decades and haven't ever done the new Kill Team rules, but it sounds like something that would be fun.

On 12/20/2019 at 12:38 PM, jocke01 said:

Hmm can none of you guys read the PDF? I thought it would work, by just posting it. Maybe i need a host site or something

i love a copy of the rules to play with my game group if want you can drop box them

Necropost!, well the forum is shutting down so no matter :P.

Well I did work on a smaller format after reading the skirmish rules. I had honestly forgotten about it after so much time. I did find it on my google drive so here is a link that should work. I haven't been able to test it and make changes, but maybe someone can get some ideas from this stuff and make a great set of rules.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ThecXJlSMSGN2ovqGWgDvnw-xjUElS8b/view?usp=sharing

I honestly think that some of the scaling down I did with fewer rounds, command cards and range of commanders is a neat idea. However single models and cover is a problem I think. Mybe something on the line of getting a re-rolled saved instead of negating hits when in cover, and letting crits negate this re-roll. Maybe heavy cover can't lose this re-roll to make heavy cover still do something.

If I would do some new rules like this, I would probably make a new version of each unit. For example a rebel trooper with 2hp that throws 2 black dice that will cost x points.

Edited by jocke01