Battle system-Linear d6

By RED_RONIN47, in Grimm RPG

The more and more i read this game. To be honest the more it can get confusing. I guess to trully understand it, i must be as mad as a hatter.

When it comes to having a battle. Theres two things i see a person can do: SCRAP and THROW. It also says there are two things a person can use to defend: SCRAP and SCAMPER. So if im the defender i have a say so in which one i want to use? Do I the defender, also need to roll for a defense test?

More questions arise in the battle system. How would a person use imagination or Magic in battle? What does the caster use and what does the defender use?

The book states that imagination cant be use to hurt, but it doesnt state if it can be used to immoblize. This came into question when i was conversating with a friend. I had a dog chase his character. He said he would use his imagination to put a leash on the dog for it wont chase him no more. It may have not hurt the dog but it did immoblize it. Can this happen?.....

If anyone who reads this, please assist me on the battle system. For so far its the only thing i dont quite get!

RED_RONIN47 said:

The more and more i read this game. To be honest the more it can get confusing. I guess to trully understand it, i must be as mad as a hatter.

When it comes to having a battle. Theres two things i see a person can do: SCRAP and THROW. It also says there are two things a person can use to defend: SCRAP and SCAMPER. So if im the defender i have a say so in which one i want to use? Do I the defender, also need to roll for a defense test?

More questions arise in the battle system. How would a person use imagination or Magic in battle? What does the caster use and what does the defender use?

The book states that imagination cant be use to hurt, but it doesnt state if it can be used to immoblize. This came into question when i was conversating with a friend. I had a dog chase his character. He said he would use his imagination to put a leash on the dog for it wont chase him no more. It may have not hurt the dog but it did immoblize it. Can this happen?.....

If anyone who reads this, please assist me on the battle system. For so far its the only thing i dont quite get!

Let us see.

1. Yes, you as the defender choose which trait you are going to use to defend. It's a bit unclear from the book, but common sense dictates that using SCRAP means you try to block the attack and using SCAMPER means you try to dodge. One way or the other, yes, you do need to roll a defense test.

2. Generally, to use magic you roll GAMING. Most types of harmful magic which doesn't do damage(sleep, charm, fear...) would call for a PLUCK roll to defend. You can't(usually) dodge or block magic.

3. Imagination can be used to stun/daze/immobilize/blind/whatever, as long as you have a good fairytale explanation.

Okay but wait how can that be with imagination, it states on page 71 in the book. "the only restrication s to an expenditure of imagination is that it should not directly replicate another character's ability, talent, or known spell, nor should it be able to directly damage or destroy."

So explain to me how imagination can ever really be used in combat. All i read is that it can change enviroment.

It seems like there are alot of errors in the game when it comes to imagination. Specifaclly with that line, damage or destroy.

How can you use keepsakes that may cause damage to an opponent.

And what do you use to defend yourself at all from imagination?

He never said you could never use Imagination in combat, only that you couldn't use it to harm.

I think the key word is 'direct'. So while you could not summon an anvil to fall on somebody's head (since it's an obvious attempt to harm), you could summon a dog to protect you, and it might harm.

And there's no need to defend yourself from imagination, since imagination cannot be used for direct offence.

Remember, though, the key to Grimm is to never get hung up on the rules if you like the idea. Go with whatever you feel makes sense.