Tri Archon Tournament (Casual) Idea

By Kilrex, in KeyForge

A friend and I are trying to come up with a casual tournament idea that lets players use houses that are great but the remainder of the decks may not be good. Or if you really want to try out a deck with 3 Shards. Any ideas to improve or criticisms are welcome.

1. Create a deck by choosing houses from 3 different Archon decks.
    1. Choose 1 house from each Archon deck.
    2. The 3 houses must be unique.
    3. No choosing Sanctum if Saurian is selected and vice versa.
    4. No choosing Mars if Star Alliance is selected and vice versa.
  2. Must have the identity card for each Archon.
  3. Cards must be in opaque sleeves.

If it is going to be casual, why the sanctum/saurian house restriction?

This could be an interesting format for people who have tens/hundreds of decks.

7 hours ago, KandyKidZero said:

If it is going to be casual, why the sanctum/saurian house restriction?

We have played about 20-ish games and Sanctum plus Saurian winning consistently due to a few factors:

1) Prominence of healing and wards.

2) Lots of capturing and exalting with the aember being put into the common pool when creatures died and/or spending aember on creatures to forge keys.

@KingOfOdonata was trying to come up with some kind of deckbuilding the game and I had this idea then too. Construct an archon but you have take the whole 3 houses from another deck. I'll be interested in how this turns out.

Run a lot of bounce and healing/ward is irrelevant ;)

We called this format Archon Alliance but never tried it. I did have the idea today of Sealed Archon Alliance Draft. Probably a few different ways to play it but here is what I thought of.
1) Each player opens two decks.

2) Each player chooses one house set from the two decks and set it aside and then passes the remaining 5 house sets.

3) Repeat the above 5 more times.

4) Once complete, build a 36 card, three house deck using three different house sets from the six drafted. You cannot mix cards between house sets. Deck must be sleeved in completely opaque sleeves.

Between rounds, a player may rebuild the deck as long as it stays a legal, 36 card deck with three different house sets.