The Expanse Season 4 Airs Tomorrow on Amazon Prime!

By TasteTheRainbow, in X-Wing Off-Topic

If you’ve read the books, we’re going to New Terra!

Since amazon bought the show the budget and production value have gone up quite a bit.

Whether you’ve been watching or not I highly recommend the season recaps on a podcast called The Churn. A couple scholars break down the depth of the story that The Expanse is tying to tell. Top notch and quick listens.

Can't wait!!!!

One of the best Sci-Fi shows in recent memory. I do hope they don't get too big for their britches with all that extra money. More money does not always equal better.

Not a fan.

First season and some of the second showed a bit of promise, but my interest dwindled in direct proportion to the amount of bait-and-switching that went on. You can only see a character be killed off only to miraculously survive five minutes later so many times.

Plus, it borrows far too heavily from the likes of Halo and Mass Effect for my liking, to the extent it's practically plagiarism.

On 12/12/2019 at 10:46 AM, FTS Gecko said:

Plus, it borrows far too heavily from the likes of Halo and Mass Effect for my liking, to the extent it's practically plagiarism.

You mean they stole from Fire Upon the Deep who stole from Niven who stole from Asimov’s Foundation.

Also the original bones of The Expanse predate ME by a few years. All the similar stuff like the failed PM soldiers and junk was already in the original Expanse MMO pitch.

from the authors just today on the constant “it’s just Mass Effect” crowd.

https://twitter.com/JamesSACorey/status/1205573430411714560?s=20

Edited by TasteTheRainbow
2 hours ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

You mean they stole from Fire Upon the Deep who stole from Niven who stole from Asimov’s Foundation.

Also the original bones of The Expanse predate ME by a few years. All the similar stuff like the failed PM soldiers and junk was already in the original Expanse MMO pitch.

Although I'm not sure what they're supposed to have stolen from A Fire Upon the Deep. Feels more like Alastair Reynolds Revelation Space, or maybe Kevin J Anderson's Assemblers of Infinity.

18 minutes ago, Cerebrawl said:

Although I'm not sure what they're supposed to have stolen from A Fire Upon the Deep. Feels more like Alastair Reynolds Revelation Space, or maybe Kevin J Anderson's Assemblers of Infinity.

Remember the guy sort of unfolding at the end? That’s closer to protomolecule-style god-beings than the consciousness-corrupting goo of Assemblers imo.

I haven’t read any Reynolds.

1 minute ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

Remember the guy sort of unfolding at the end? That’s closer to protomolecule-style god-beings than the consciousness-corrupting goo of Assemblers imo.

I haven’t read any Reynolds.

Been a long time since I rear A Fire Upon the Deep, I mostly remember the intelligent dog society(Tines).

Reynold's Revelation Space has "the inhibitors", some sort of robotic doomsday weapons that lie dormant and activate to exterminate space faring races. Similar to what the protomolecule device seems to be designed to do, from the glimpses we get at the end of season 3.

Quite impressed with this season and looking forward to the next one. Shame they went a killed of the good chars again.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 7:53 PM, Cerebrawl said:

Been a long time since I rear A Fire Upon the Deep, I mostly remember the intelligent dog society(Tines).

I actually re-read it recently. It didn't feel especially similar to the expanse for the most part, but the portrayal of trancendant hyper-tech as essentially 'glowing mould that impales you' is sufficiently generic that I'm not sure you can really say it came from Fire Upon The Deep specifically.

On 12/12/2019 at 2:53 PM, Cerebrawl said:

Reynold's Revelation Space has "the inhibitors", some sort of robotic doomsday weapons that lie dormant and activate to exterminate space faring races. Similar to what the protomolecule device seems to be designed to do, from the glimpses we get at the end of season 3.

I actually just got the Revelation Space audio book. Heard good things about it so it should be a good holiday holdover.