[PODCAST]: THE FORGE: Upcoming Episode Review of the EPG and GM Screen with Sam Gregor-Stewart and Keith Kappel ***DEADLINE 7th Jan Midnight PT (USA)***

By GM Hooly, in Genesys

The Expanded Players Guide (EPG) and the GM Screen for the Genesys RPG are out and making their way around the planet. As we announced on our last episode, both Sam Gregor-Stewart (RPG Manager for Fantasy Flight Games) and distinguished freelancer Keith Kappel have agreed to join us on the show. We’ll be chatting about both the products, but they'll also be answering your questions.

So we want to know your queries, questions, and comments about the products! Let us know in the comments below!

All questions must be submitted by the 1st January 2020 at midnight.

****SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT****

Due to schedules, the deadline for questions has been extended to the 7th January 2020. Get those questions in NOW!

Edited by GM Hooly

Concerning the inclusion of Talent Trees: Would it be balanced to have a campaign with some players using the trees, and others using the pyramid? Could a player with a pyramid purchase a tree? Is there another way to work this new option into an existing campaign, or would players need to rebuild/respec if they want to take a tree for a pre-existing character? Thanks so much for all the amazing advice! And thanks to Sam and the rest for all the wonderful products to play with!

Please tell many thanks to Sam and his team for their work on Genesys (and Star Wars btw).

Now to my questions:

- will there be/are there guidelines for mass combat?

- how would psionics be handled? Like one of the existing magic traditions?

- will there be new mechanics in the upcoming Keyforge source book?

1 hour ago, DarthDude said:

Please tell many thanks to Sam and his team for their work on Genesys (and Star Wars btw).

Now to my questions:

- will there be/are there guidelines for mass combat?

- how would psionics be handled? Like one of the existing magic traditions?

- will there be new mechanics in the upcoming Keyforge source book?

I can tell you we won't be able to ask any of those questions as they refer to products not yet announced. Keyforge may be the exception but they have not hit the website even in development yet.

Edited by GM Hooly

One of my favorite sections in the EPG is the Expanded Magic Rules, especially all of the new magic talents. Masterful Casting on page 97 is particularly great. I do wonder though, whether the qualities or spell effects being activated by the talent need to have been selected before casting the spell or not? I realize it is a tier 4 talent, and Triumphs are powerful, but even so I worry about balance if the effects can be added after the fact. Conversely, I worry about playability/usability if the effects must be added beforehand (and thereby greatly increasing the difficulty). I'd be very interested to hear about the design decisions behind this talent (which I love, and want to make sure I'm using properly)! Thanks!

Step 1: THANK YOU ALL FOR THE AMAZING EPG! IT'S AWESOME AND I LOVE IT!

Step 2: Ask a question

In the EPG we now have rules for creating vehicles. However, there was no mention of how to assign carrier space for them.

Do you have any suggestions for how to make vehicles like an aircraft carrier or a Battlestar that can carry other vehicles?

Predict's "Flash of Precognition" effect: Can each of the effect's four abilities be triggered per session, or is it an "either/or" situation, where you can only add either success or failure to a check?

The box for the Crashing/Sinking critical hit says to roll 1d5. This seems a bit unusual, as Genesys doesn't normally use d5s, and it's likely that not every table is going to have them to begin with. Unless this is an error, this seems like an unusual choice.

13 hours ago, Swordbreaker said:

The box for the Crashing/Sinking critical hit says to roll 1d5. This seems a bit unusual, as Genesys doesn't normally use d5s, and it's likely that not every table is going to have them to begin with. Unless this is an error, this seems like an unusual choice.

But a d5 is just a d10 with halved results. The critical hit chart is typically rolled as a d100 (which is usually 2 d10). There are even some crits which require you to roll a d10 to determine which limb/characteristic it affects. So Genesys definitely assumes you have a d10.

Something I noticed in the vehicle rules is that there are no guidelines for vehicles carrying other vehicles, and no examples of carriers or drop ships.

On 12/16/2019 at 6:15 AM, lbwoodard said:

One of my favorite sections in the EPG is the Expanded Magic Rules, especially all of the new magic talents. Masterful Casting on page 97 is particularly great. I do wonder though, whether the qualities or spell effects being activated by the talent need to have been selected before casting the spell or not? I realize it is a tier 4 talent, and Triumphs are powerful, but even so I worry about balance if the effects can be added after the fact. Conversely, I worry about playability/usability if the effects must be added beforehand (and thereby greatly increasing the difficulty). I'd be very interested to hear about the design decisions behind this talent (which I love, and want to make sure I'm using properly)! Thanks!

You can't add an additional effect after it's cast. So if you don't add the Manipulate effect then you can't trigger the forced movement, since it's not a part of the spell cast. But if you cast the spell with the Ice effect, you can trigger the Immobilize quality (since the attack had that quality in the first place).

I think the confusion is the wording " qualities or spell effects… ". Only the attack spell has qualities that can be triggered, but other spells have non-qualities that require advantage to trigger. For example, the additional targets effect from the heal spell: it's not a quality but is an effect that (if the spell is cast with it added) you can spend advantage to trigger. Or the realism effect from the mask spell. It costs two advantages to activate, but is not a quality.

TL; DR

You can't add an additional effect after-the-fact, but you can trigger effects that are already part of the spell.

Another question to ask:

How would you adjust the power level table if the PCs had some NPC allies? A Sergent with a squad following them. PCs who are the officers of a starship who have gunner crews and/or fighter pilots. Things like that.

Thanks!

I just have a quick question about where the three additional magic actions (Mask, Predict, and Transform) fit into the two additional magic skills in Realms of Terrinoth (Runes and Verse). In other words, could we have an official update to Table 2-18 (RoT Page 115)?

Q: is there an official ruling yet on how the new magic actions fit with Rune and Verse In RoT? I’m aware of the Discord chart and I think it’s fine, but was just curious.

Another question:

How do vehicles factor in to the Power Level idea? Fighter squadron campaigns will be using vehicles a lot and I think it would be good to know how they interact with power levels of adversaries.

Special Rules for vehicles modify the vehicle price by ±10% per special rule. Are the price for weapons included in that vehicle price? Or are weapons considered a separate price?

Casting spells while transformed. Yes or no? If yes, what penalties should be applied to the test?

Can FFG make an example or two on how they have calculated the adversary power levels for existing creatures? I cant get the same numbers they presented in the updated FAQ by following Adversary Creation Rules from the EPG.

Cheers!

@GM Hooly When is this supposed to drop?

We record on the 15th so a few days after that. There is an extension of a week to ask questions. New due date is midnight on the 7th January.

Hi There

I have a question about the use of the Masterful Casting Talent (Tier 4, EPG). Does it allow the activation of critical hits? It seems that it could be argued that it does as that may be activated using a triumph. But if so does it confer the x3 advantage (making it a crit at +20). This seems like it could make a Deadly spell (with Vicious 3) particularly deadly. A single Triumph could activate a crit at +50.

Thanks!

Just a reminder that the deadline is tomorrow night at midnight!

44 minutes ago, GM Hooly said:

Just a reminder that the deadline is tomorrow night at midnight!

In what time zone?

US.

2 hours ago, GM Hooly said:

US.

What time zone in us? :)

Lets say Pacific Time. I won't be looking at it until the 8th anyway :)