Wing Leaders

By Chudley, in X-Wing Epic Play

Is there a reason why Empire and First Order are the only factions with the ability to have a different wing leader ship type than the rest of the wing.

Why not a Bulbasaur with a wing of droids?

Why not an Attack shuttle with a wing of A-Wings? Etc.

just curious.

20 minutes ago, Chudley said:

Is there a reason why Empire and First Order are the only factions with the ability to have a different wing leader ship type than the rest of the wing.

Why not an Attack shuttle with a wing of A-Wings? Etc.

just curious.

faction synergy. They may realease more cards in the future just to address this issue

1 minute ago, pakirby said:

faction synergy. They may realease more cards in the future just to address this issue

Faction synergy? I thought the point of the Epic stuff was to bring battles from movies, books etc to the table top. They decide the Imps and FO are the only ones? It just doesn’t make any sense. What is the point of the Epic Box if not to do include all factions?

Anyway, just another question I ask myself about FFG lately.

The Bellyrub not getting Vulture squadmates was the odd one for me. Rebels, Resistance, Republic, and Scum make decent sense, but Grievous leading a squad of Vultures seems right.

I'd like to see an Alphabet Squadron wing for Rebels though, the only stipulations being that they must be small base and that none of the ships can be of the same type.

Maybe also have a Scum only one that is Medium Base only (non-mixed ships) that only allows for 2-4 ships. Kimogilas look decent for Epic but get dead too fast flying without wingmates.

Edited by 5050Saint
12 minutes ago, Chudley said:

You know that if you use the Quick Builds, you can get different builds. There is a QB that has General Grevious that leads a Wing of Vultures.

Besides it being easier and faster to do QB's, I am thinking of trying it for some of the things you get for free.

Ive been fiddling around with ideas for some homemade cards for wings for all the factions, to be used at the club I play at, I hope that they eventually bring out more cards though

Separatist wings

**Hive mind
3 points
You are a wing leader.
Your wingmates can be 2, 3, 4 or 5 other ships of your ship type.
You and your wingmates may spend the focus and evade tokens of you and your wingmates while in formation.
Nantex only

*Separatist VIP
7 points
You are a wing leader.
Your wingmates can be 2, 3, 4 or 5 valture droids in the formation, the wing leader and 4th valture may swap places.
If you are declared the target of a attack, if the attack is obstructed by a wing mate, the attack must target the wingmate instead, ignoring the target lock requirement.
Belbullab-22 only

Rebel wings:

*Red Squadron
5 points
You are a wing leader.
Your wingmates can be 2, 3, 4 or 5 red squadron veterans or Garvin Dreis, Wedge Antilles, Biggs Darklighter, Luke Skywalker or Jek Porkins, you must also be one of these pilots.
Ships in your wing may ignore the target lock requirements for a ship you have locked
X wing only

*Alphabet squadron
4 points
You are a wing leader.
Your wingmates can be 1 Y wing, 1 A wing, 1 B wing and 1 U Wing. These ships cannot be limited.
While you defend, up to 2 of your wingmates in the attack arc may suffer 1 damage or critical damage to cancel a matching result.
Non limited X wing only

Resistance wings:

*Black squadron
6 points
You are a wing leader.
Your wingmates can 2, 3, 4, or 5 black squadron Aces or Temmin Wexley, Kare Kun, Jessica Pava or L'ulo L'ampar.
While you or your wingmates defend, up to 2 of your wingmates in the attack arc may suffer 1 damage or critical damage to cancel a matching result.
Poe Dameron only

***Fortress Wall
8 points
You are a wing leader.
Your wingmate can be a starfortress. Your position in the wing is the position of a 3rd wing mate.
During the systems phase you may pefore a red renforce action, this token affects all ships in formation.
You may spend your wingmates sheilds as your own
Starfotress only

Scum wings:

**Skull Squadron
3 points
You are a wing leader.
Your wingmates can be 2, 3, 4 or 5 others ships of your ship type.
If you or a wingmate are defending you may reroll 1 dice if at least 1 other wingmate could trigger concordia face off if the attack was targeting them
Fang fighter only

Cargo Hauling squad
3 points
You are a wing leader.
Your wingmates can be 2 others ships of your ship type.
Your wingmates may perform the space tug tractor array action even while stressed.
Quadjumper only

Republic wings:

**Jedi general
4 points
You are a wing leader.
Your wingmates can be 2, 3, 4 or 5 V-19 Torrent starfighters
While you defend, up to 2 of your wingmates in the attack arc may suffer 1 damage or critical damage to cancel a matching result.
Delta-7 only

**Master and apprentice
4 points
You are a wing leader.
Your wingmate can be a Delta-7 with the same or less number of force tokens.
You and your wingmate can use each others force tokens.
Delta-7 with I4 with 2+ force

Empire wings:

*Inferno Squad
12 points
You are a wing leader.
Your wingmates can be 2, or 3 others ships of your ship type, and must be Gideon Hask, Del Meeko or Seyn Marana
You and your wingmates have the pilot abilities of your wing mates in formation while in formation.
You gain a second charge token on your shop card.
Iden Versio only

First order wings:

**Special forces
6 points
You are a wing leader.
If you or a wingmate is preforming a primary attack, if all arcs in your wing are in the forward you may change 1 focus to a hit, if all arcs in your wing are in the rear you make change 1 blank to a focus.
Tie SF only

I don’t think empire and FO need more special wing cards. They are fine. I do like the Jedi general though. That is one of the ones I am surprise wasn’t released with the epic battle pack.

47 minutes ago, player3719000 said:

I don’t think empire and FO need more special wing cards. They are fine. I do like the Jedi general though. That is one of the ones I am surprise wasn’t released with the epic battle pack.

Yeah, it was pretty apparent that the focus this time around was Rebel and Imperial factions, with a good helping of Scum, too. There's gotta be more coming for the prequel and sequel factions.

17 hours ago, Watcher42 said:

Scum wings:

**Skull Squadron
3 points
You are a wing leader.
Your wingmates can be 2, 3, 4 or 5 others ships of your ship type.
If you or a wingmate are defending you may reroll 1 dice if at least 1 other wingmate could trigger concordia face off if the attack was targeting them
Fang fighter only

Cargo Hauling squad
3 points
You are a wing leader.
Your wingmates may perform the space tug tractor array action even while stressed.
Quadjumper only

Did you pick the dumbest ones you could think of on purpose? The fangs are too expensive for their fragile nature in epic, and quadjumper wings are a joke.

Scum's best wing choices in epic are probably Kihraxz, Y-wing, and maybe M3-A(HLC generics).

I was just playing around with some ideas, no need to be rude. Fangs are the face of scum at the moment so I decided to make one around them. Quadjumpers are actually relatively effective in epic games, tractoring a wing leader will brake the wing stressing all ships in the wing, and quadjumpers are the most reliable way of tractoring, keeping them in a small wing will keep them alive, especially the wing leader. Its just for fun and I'll probably make more for other ships in the future.

1 hour ago, Watcher42 said:

I was just playing around with some ideas, no need to be rude. Fangs are the face of scum at the moment so I decided to make one around them. Quadjumpers are actually relatively effective in epic games, tractoring a wing leader will brake the wing stressing all ships in the wing, and quadjumpers are the most reliable way of tractoring, keeping them in a small wing will keep them alive, especially the wing leader. Its just for fun and I'll probably make more for other ships in the future.

My apologies. But you can see my confusion, Fang wings will simply wither under fire, at range 2-5, and likely be destroyed before accomplishing anything. Quadjumpers are in much the same boat, and while they might be able to disrupt a wing once. They've got practically no firepower, is it worth 99 points on a throwaway wing to maybe get the chance separate a wing leader to kill with other forces? Seems doubtful.

@Watcher42 Balancing aside, i really like the creative approach to these. I'd definitely like to see more variety in wing leader abilities, especially if they reflect/complement/make up for certain advantages or weaknesses while staying true to the lore behind squardons :)

I don't think we need went leader abilities, but mostly I'm afraid if the possibility of even more imbalanced stuff.

1 hour ago, Cerebrawl said:

My apologies. But you can see my confusion, Fang wings will simply wither under fire, at range 2-5, and likely be destroyed before accomplishing anything.

What are you shooting at them with? A wing of TIE fighters won't do well against a Fang wing at range 3, while Proton Torpedoes wild be deadly. An enemy squad won't be composed entirely of anti-Fang tech, so send them off against ships/objectives that they are strong against.

Fangs will do fine in wings. At range 4-5, they roll 5 dice on defense, so they aren't appealing targets. Fenn Rau as lead stands a pretty good chance of diving from range 4 into range 1 for that sweet defense. But they have more agility than TIE strikers and more health than TIE interceptors, which are both thought to be decent in wings. Besides , aiming for range 1 isn't the only way to play Fang fighters.