Rebellion in the Rim - Command Ship Upgrade

By ArmadaMatt, in Star Wars: Armada Rules Questions

Hey everyone,

Just some quick clarification regarding the Command Ship Upgrade rules for the Final Pivotal Battle. If nobody has an answer, I’ll send a message off to FFG for clarification.

First, the text for both Huge Ship and Large Ships effects states that one or two players (depending on the effect) “may choose to remove a number of their ships, squadrons, and upgrade cards from their fleet and replace those forces with one [huge/large] ship worth a number of fleet points up to the value of the ships and squadrons that player removed.” The first part of the sentence mentions removing upgrade cards, but the latter just says the value of ships and squadrons. Were upgrade cards left off for a reason or is that a mistake?

Second, regarding the Large Ships effect specifically, does each of the “up to two players” that resolves the effect get to add a large ship to their fleets, or is it just one large ship total amongst all players?

I’m not sure if I’m reading this all correctly. If sounds like only one person on the team gets a new toy, regardless of if it’s huge or large. If it’s large, then two players can chip in to buy the new large toy, even though only one person gets to play with it. And the player with the new toy can have a bigger fleet than the others. Sounds like someone is taking one of the team by giving up part of their fleet. Am I interpreting this correctly?

2 hours ago, ArmadaMatt said:

First, the text for both Huge Ship and Large Ships effects states that one or two players (depending on the effect) “may choose to remove a number of their ships, squadrons, and upgrade cards from their fleet and replace those forces with one [huge/large] ship worth a number of fleet points up to the value of the ships and squadrons that player removed.” The first part of the sentence mentions removing upgrade cards, but the latter just says the value of ships and squadrons. Were upgrade cards left off for a reason or is that a mistake?

I can't tell about intention, but they could have been left off for a reason. You may not remove upgrades because maybe you can equip them to the ship you're adding. If you cannot, then you can remove them to free points space to fit the huge/large ship in the up to 250 points, but you don't gain those points from the upgrades, just from the ships and squadrons.

2 hours ago, ArmadaMatt said:

Second, regarding the Large Ships effect specifically, does each of the “up to two players” that resolves the effect get to add a large ship to their fleets, or is it just one large ship total amongst all players?

Both players can add a large ship to their respective lists if they want.

7 hours ago, Lemmiwinks86 said:

I can't tell about intention, but they could have been left off for a reason. You may not remove upgrades because maybe you can equip them to the ship you're adding. If you cannot, then you can remove them to free points space to fit the huge/large ship in the up to 250 points, but you don't gain those points from the upgrades, just from the ships and squadrons.

Yeah, it just seems so curious to me. Since the upgrades are part of your fleet points to begin with, removing them couldn't free up points for a large ship to come in at 250 points. It has to be equal to the amount removed, anyway. I really wonder if it's a typo by omission...

It just be a mistake! They clearly stated in the FFG live video, that you can play the SSD during the last Pivotal Battle. The SSD costs at least 220 pts. You start with 200 and can only buy cards and squadrons. That would mean you would have to plan that your upgrades aren't more worth than 30 points. That's not much.

I can't imagine that such a crucial info would hide in half a sentence. You need good glasses to find that! I think points for ships includes their upgrades.

Well, I've contacted FFG for rules clarification just to be sure. I'll report back with what they say.

To follow-up on my own post, FFG answered this in the new FAQ. The rules now read:

“Huge Ship: The team may spend one repair yards token and two resource tokens. Then one of this team’s players may choose to remove a number of their ships, squadrons, and upgrade cards from their fleet and replace those forces with one huge ship worth a number of fleet points up to the value of the ships, squadrons, and upgrades that player removed.”

“Large Ships: The team may spend one repair yards token and one resource token. Then up to two of that team’s players may choose to remove a number of their ships, squadrons, and upgrade cards from their fleet and each replace those forces with one large ship worth a number of fleet points up to the value of the ships, squadrons, and upgrades those players removed.”

Looks like it was just an accidental omission. Upgrade cards do count towards the value you get on your "trade-in".