New squad builder?

By nitrobenz, in X-Wing Squad Builder

I heard a rumour that FFG is working on an all new squad builder app! I can't find any details on FFG's website though... Anybody have more details?

Edit: nevermind, there's already a thread for this on the main page

Edited by nitrobenz
New link

Yup, just on their social media pages. No other info

So, with everyone working from home these days, and sales having dried up, is there any new mention of this?

None that I'm aware of...

If FFG doesn't support this huge ship via their app I will forever boycott all their products and forever warn every nerd I ever talk to that FFG can take your money for products and then just not have a fully working game... There are many other game makers out there just waiting for new loyal customers coming off of being burned from neglectful once awesome other game makers

A few days ago, even Games Workshop announced a 40k app for their new version.

FFG already has an 'app', with the majority of the functionality in place. Surely, it isn't that much work to repackage it, and add in a few extra, much-wanted, features....

On 5/28/2020 at 3:59 AM, Aetherer said:

A few days ago, even Games Workshop announced a 40k app for their new version.

FFG already has an 'app', with the majority of the functionality in place. Surely, it isn't that much work to repackage it, and add in a few extra, much-wanted, features....

Depending on the technology base used and nature of the original app, it is usually more efficient and cost effective to scrap an old app and build a new one than migrate old app content. This is especially dependent on their content management system and any use of outsourced labor.

With apps you get what you pay for and if they tried to cut corners on the original app they may be heavily restricted and need to cut their losses and start from scratch. Good apps require more work than people realize especially as it relates to maintenance and ongoing management. Bad apps are easy and cheap to make but hard to maintain.

My relevant experience - I've lead mobile app development teams that have deployed over a dozen apps to production for retailers and banks.

It's good to hear from experts from time to time. Thanks for the input.

I know there was a comment from FFG long ago mentioning a new app, and nothing since. With any luck, they started re-writing it when the backlash reached a peak way back in 2nd ed.

But, no updates, no leaks, nothing at all since. It is worrying.

Edited by Aetherer