Mandalorian Vambraces

By P-47 Thunderbolt, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

I was thinking about other uses for vambraces, as I made a medic NPC who had the tools of his trade in his vambraces, and decided to try and add some tools, not just weapons.

So, here's what I'm thinking. Remember, all vambrace-mounted items can be readied as an Incidental unless otherwise stated:

Medicine:

Stimpack Injector:
Armor (Vambrace) Attachment: Allows the character to apply a stimpack to himself or to an engaged character as an Incidental. The Stimpack Injector must be reloaded between uses, requiring a Maneuver (in addition to any Maneuvers required to draw the stimpack). 100/2.

Nullicane Spray:
Armor (Vambrace) Attachment: Can load three charges. Allows the character to spend an Action to apply Nullicane to himself or to an engaged character as per RAW. 100/3.

Vambrace Medpac:
Armor (Vambrace) Attachment: Allows the character to use the Medicine skill to heal others without penalty. This Attachment must fill 2 vambrace slots in order to function properly, but this can be separated between a pair of vambraces, or all in a single vambrace. 100/2.

Vambrace Traumapac:
Armor (Vambrace) Attachment: Allows the character to use the Medicine skill to attempt to remove Critical Injuries from others without penalty, but does not allow him to perform other treatment options. 50/3.

Medical Vambrace Scanner:
Armor (Vambrace) Attachment: Allows the character to remove a Setback from all Medicine checks, and to spend a Maneuver to add a Boost (too much?). 100/3.

A full kit would be either four or five, still allowing one or two slots for actual weaponry. As long as you don't accidentally trigger your flamethrower when you're trying to apply Nullicane. :D

Mechanics:

Repair Patch Applicator:
Armor (Vambrace) Attachment: Allows the character to apply an Emergency Repair Patch to himself or to an engaged character as an Incidental. The Repair Patch Applicator must be reloaded between uses, requiring a Maneuver (in addition to any Maneuvers required to draw the Emergency Repair Patch). 100/2.

Vambrace Multi-Tool:
Armor (Vambrace) Attachment: Allows the character to make Mechanics checks to repair droids or devices, but adds 2 Setback to the check. This Attachment must fill 2 vambrace slots in order to function properly, but this can be separated between a pair of vambraces, or all in a single vambrace. Each additional Multi-Tool reduces the number of Setback added by 1. 100/1.

Mechanical Vambrace Scanner:
Armor (Vambrace) Attachment: Allows the character to remove a Setback from Mechanics checks to repair droids or devices (but not Ships or Vehicles). 100/3.

Most specialized Mechanics tools are too bulky or heavy to fit in a vambrace, and so are not options. It is difficult to fit a full kit in such a small package, and so only the minimal tools necessary are added. By committing additional space in the vambrace, adding more and larger tools, the penalty can be reduced.

Computers:

Vambrace Datapad:
Armor (Vambrace) Attachment: Mounts a datapad on the character's wrist. At GM discretion, counts as The Right Tool for the Job. 75/1.

Vambrace Slicing Gear:
Armor (Vambrace) Attachment: Allows the character to interface with and slice computer systems. This Attachment must fill 2 vambrace slots in order to function properly, but this can be separated between a pair of vambraces, or all in a single vambrace. 500/5.
[Note of author's intent: This would include a wrist-mounted scomp-link, allowing the character to plug into computer systems similarly to Echo.]

With these, I considered adding more options. However, they would have been unnecessary and extraneous. There would not have been an actual mechanical benefit or "peculiarity" to mounting them on a vambrace and all it would have done is reduce the Encumbrance of the item. If the player wants the item as "part of the vambrace," I'd suggest simply narrating it as such (though I personally wouldn't).

The idea behind this is that the character is choosing to sacrifice the flexibility of an extra weapon for a tool that is easily close at hand and does not have to be retrieved (saving what can be a very valuable Maneuver). I think this is pretty cool, and a nice bonus for engineer or medic Mandalorians. I'm most satisfied with the Medicine attachments, and think that they work quite well and are mechanically appropriate to the situation (including that a complete medical build would only have 1 Encumbrance-worth of equipment, so you certainly can't call it overloaded).

Thoughts? Am I overlooking anything key? Any ideas for things to add?

50 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Revisiting these, and I realized that somehow I forgot to state that each vambrace is 1 Encumbrance. Oops.

Updated.

Wouldn't that get reduced to nothing while worn?

1 minute ago, micheldebruyn said:

Wouldn't that get reduced to nothing while worn?

No, because the vambraces aren't armor, they are armor attachments. So per RAW, they'd increase the Encumbrance of the armor, which is then reduced by 3. So on Mandalorian armor, you end up with 6+2-3=5 instead of 6-3=3.

I prefer to just list their Encumbrance separately from the armor though. Treating them almost as a separate piece of gear.