Legion Skirmish

By aermet69, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

LOL.

Guess we now know why they cut IA skirmish, eh.

Wow. Just. Wow.

I think I have a good idea what tomorrow's Legion article will be about: A New Way To Play Legion! Preview the New Rules For Legion: Campaign! Buy the new card board tiles that can be arranged in various ways and play Legion like a dungeon crawler!

I don't care how fun Legion is, I'm never buying it out of principle.

38 minutes ago, Polda said:

Yes, this official appropriation of the Imperial Discipline 500pt format document is the reason for cutting IA skirmish.

Stuff like this had nothing to do with it:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/275829-state-of-ia-skirmish-for-new-players/

Stuff like... someone starting new to the game and coming up against a bunch of experienced players at a regional, only to later find out that those players were super friendly and welcoming to the point where the new player got really involved in the skirmish game?

I'm not trying to be smart or sarcastic here, but I'm genuinely not sure what the point is that you were trying to make. Maybe that you have to buy an expensive core box in order to play?

55 minutes ago, ManateeX said:

Stuff like... someone starting new to the game and coming up against a bunch of experienced players at a regional, only to later find out that those players were super friendly and welcoming to the point where the new player got really involved in the skirmish game?

I'm not trying to be smart or sarcastic here, but I'm genuinely not sure what the point is that you were trying to make. Maybe that you have to buy an expensive core box in order to play?

He also talks about needing to get everything (for map tiles at least) and to follow the meta. The cost to get into IA Skirmish is high esp. for players who maybe aren't really interested in the campaign (yeah, they do exist).
I dunno, I own most of IA and I don't think it's that good anymore. Legion did not kill IA (it's release didn't help either). :D It kind of just ran out of steam for the skirmish mode design, or the designers backed themselves into a corner by making each new box's skirmish characters much better than the previous ones.

How much more powerful would the next set of skirmish cards need to be to counter Specter Cells for example?

11 minutes ago, Polda said:

He also talks about needing to get everything (for map tiles at least) and to follow the meta. The cost to get into IA Skirmish is high esp. for players who maybe aren't really interested in the campaign (yeah, they do exist).
I dunno, I own most of IA and I don't think it's that good anymore. Legion did not kill IA (it's release didn't help either). :D It kind of just ran out of steam for the skirmish mode design, or the designers backed themselves into a corner by making each new box's skirmish characters much better than the previous ones.

How much more powerful would the next set of skirmish cards need to be to counter Specter Cells for example?

This has more or less been the norm for every FFG competitive game that is collectable. LCGs or miniatures. I find it hard to believe that Legion will be anything else a couple of years foward.

Yes, they were fighting an uphill battle with the early releases etc. That could easily have been fixed by producing a Skirmish starter set, with new versions of those old cards and get rid of the 'must-have-tiles' stuff and let people play tourneys with printet maps (like they do already).

They also did errata Specter Cell, just waaaay too late. FFG has never ever been good at creating healthy metas.