Droids Base Color Question

By rasmussen81, in Painting

I'm waiting for my Clone Wars Base Game to arrive and I'm trying to get ready for it...but I need some help figuring out what primer/base color to get for my Droids.

I've heard that I can just spray the droids with the color I want them to be and then add the details I feel like. Has anyone else done this? Any suggestions on what color I should get for that primer/base?

Thanks for any help or advice you can offer!

Edited by rasmussen81

https://www.amazon.com/Army-Painter-Skeleton-Spray-Primer/dp/B005C3CYV8/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=army+painter+skeleton+bone&qid=1574359636&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Hobby-Skeleton-Bone-Paint-Pot/dp/B007QW3RHI/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=army+painter+skeleton+bone&qid=1574359650&sr=8-2

Here is what i've used. Paint and primer. I just primer them in skeleton bone, paint the guns, then do a heavy wash with Agrax Earthshade SELECTIVELY in the recesses. Then touch them up with paint a bit until i'm happy and call them good. I also do unit markings, but that's up to you how you want to do that.

I've only done Grievous thus far, but I was pleased with Wraith Bone primer. I liked the color as a way to avoid painting the full droid beige or whatever. Like said above, I would just wash after that with Agrax, paint the weapons, and call it done.

I grabbed a can of Humbrol Desert Tan spray and it was spot on. Just a few details and an agrax wash (diluted with lahmian) and they were pretty much done

Perfect! This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks, everyone!!

About the to only issue I've seen with droids seems to be when they are primed/ basecoated white, which while they can still be made to look good takes a lot more work than wraithbone or the humbrol.

7 hours ago, Ralgon said:

About the to only issue I've seen with droids seems to be when they are primed/ basecoated white, which while they can still be made to look good takes a lot more work than wraithbone or the humbrol.

Sorastro did a sample Droid primed in white in his B1 tutorial video. It's just white Primer and a coat of contrast paint, and it looks pretty great.

5 hours ago, Lochlan said:

Sorastro did a sample Droid primed in white in his B1 tutorial video. It's just white Primer and a coat of contrast paint, and it looks pretty great.

In which he mixed the contrast paints to get the effect.

That doesn't make my statement wrong.

Edit: and not to take away from sorastro, I love his work and wish I had his highlighting skills

Edited by Ralgon
18 minutes ago, Ralgon said:

In which he mixed the contrast paints to get the effect.

That doesn't make my statement wrong.

Edit: and not to take away from sorastro, I love his work and wish I had his highlighting skills

He only mixed to get the color he wanted. You could easily use a single contrast paint and get the same effect, just the color wouldn't be identical to his. He even mentions that in the video. And what is difficult about mixing paints? I certainly wouldn't call that "a lot more work."

That brings up an interesting question. I haven't tried any contrast paints but they look intriguing...

I think for the droids I'll prime the color I want, add the details and clean up with the same color, but maybe I'll look into Contrast Paints for future projects. 😏

1 hour ago, Lochlan said:

He only mixed to get the color he wanted. You could easily use a single contrast paint and get the same effect, just the color wouldn't be identical to his. He even mentions that in the video. And what is difficult about mixing paints? I certainly wouldn't call that "a lot more

Yeah, tell that to a newbie

18 minutes ago, Ralgon said:

Yeah, tell that to a newbie

Ha! I wouldn't say that Sorastro is very helpful for total beginners because what he's doing is so advanced. As someone who is just barely out of the "beginner" stage, his stuff is super interesting to watch but not as practical to always follow. He's like the Bob Ross of model painting!

I just primed with Army Painter Skeleton Bone, and then a Vallejo Sepia wash. Boom.

Rustoleum Heirloom White -> Contrast Skeleton Horde or Gore-Grunta Fur as per preference.

Black Templar for the gunz, obviously. Two paints for basically all your B1s, quick and easy.

Edited by GreatMazinkaiser