Umordhoth Ghoul Hordes

By oldschoolgamr, in Arkham Horror: Final Hour

Still looking for a consistent ruling on the Ghoul Hordes:

If the ghoul horde exits or enters an investigator's location, that investigator loses 1 health

If one moves through your location , do you lose one or two health?

Is “or” saying either is minus one health or each is minus one health?

Thoughts?

Edited by oldschoolgamr
12 hours ago, oldschoolgamr said:

Still looking for a consistent ruling on the Ghoul Hordes:

If the ghoul horde exits or enters an investigator's location, that investigator loses 1 health

If one moves through your location , do you lose one or two health?

Is “or” saying either is minus one health or each is minus one health?

Thoughts?

I don't have it in front of me (I'm at work) but if one moves through your space as part of its move (say it's 1 space away and it's moving 2 spaces), then you take no damage as the Ancient One card says it doesn't actually land at the spaces it travels through until the end of its movement.

If, however, it would end its movement at your location but your location is already at monster capacity, then you should take 1 damage for it entering your space and another 1 damage as it exits your space. (From what I can recall.) :)

Interesting - I assumed “looking for a space to fit” was separate from entering location - i.e. EACH spot it moved, even if in the middle of a move - was an IN and OUT.

But this interpretation is new - which makes sense given the rule clarification on movement...

Also makes it important strategy-wise to keep openings in locations so they stop when they can. Still - two health is a large hit in multiplayer...

Regardless, I sent rule question to FFG - although I wasn’t as specific about movement as your answer was...

2 hours ago, oldschoolgamr said:

Interesting - I assumed “looking for a space to fit” was separate from entering location - i.e. EACH spot it moved, even if in the middle of a move - was an IN and OUT.

But this interpretation is new - which makes sense given the rule clarification on movement...

Also makes it important strategy-wise to keep openings in locations so they stop when they can. Still - two health is a large hit in multiplayer...

Regardless, I sent rule question to FFG - although I wasn’t as specific about movement as your answer was...

Oh, man. 2 HP is massive in a 4 player game. We lost somebody fresh in one turn because of those monsters.

Ok - so here is the full text from the GOO card:

Hunt for X (when instructed)
In any order, each ghoul horde moves X times but does not occupy
a monster space until after its final move. If the ghoul horde exits or
enters an investigator's location, that investigator loses 1 health.

By my reading, even when it is not occupying a monsters SPACE it is still entering and exiting the LOCATION.
Others have said that typical FFG definition of "OR" is IF condition A OR condition B is met, do particular resolution.
In other words, enter the space and stop - gators take a damage; start in space and move out - gators take a damage;
BUT pass through - enter and then exit - gators still take only one damage (due to the OR).

Hmmm... I just don't see why they could not have used better language to make this more clear - or at least included an example.

I mean if there are two together (which is typical) then that is a FOUR health loss - insta-death - if they pass a gator by in 4-player (where each gator has THREE health).

I mean - sure it's difficult... Arkham difficult, but again - it would be nice to actually understand the true intent with some certainty.

With the If and Or structure of the wording i would say that each time the Ghoul moves THROUGH the investigators location you lose 1 health. Anything else would be crazy. So multiple ghouls will do additional damage but each ghoul will only wound an investigator once per move.