Stun is over powered

By TheDishRacktion, in Imperial Assault Rules Questions

I have been playing a few times now and have discovered that stun seems way to powerful. My players have been able to stun Darth Vader every round making him almost useless. Am I playing stun wrong?

how are you playing it? i assume you have it right

its pretty tough. i had to use the Technological superiority class deck, and have droids close to my villains to protect them from stun block.

especially CT-1701's pin them down. i had to house rule it

Yea we play once you are stunned you have to use a whole turn to be unstunned meaning that if the players can stun you first turn in a new round that character can't be used tell next round because this round is used to unstun.

5 minutes ago, TheDishRacktion said:

Yea we play once you are stunned you have to use a whole turn to be unstunned meaning that if the players can stun you first turn in a new round that character can't be used tell next round because this round is used to unstun.

Stun is definitely really powerful, but the good news for you is that, yes, you seem to be playing it wrong :)

It only takes one of your two actions for the turn to unstun - you still have the other action left to move, attack, etc.

Also, it's worth noting that stun only prevents moving and attacking, not anything else. So if you're playing campaign and you get stunned next to a terminal (or whatever), you can still use your actions to interact with that terminal without un-stunning. Abilities like Vader's Force Choke , for example, are also not considered attacks, so you can do that while you're stunned. Same goes for taking a rest action in campaign to recover.

It's still a really good condition, but hopefully this will make it feel a bit more fair.

Edited by ManateeX

solved ^

Edited by Spidey NZ
solved at exactly the same time

If you look at the Stunned condition card, you see it takes one (special) action to discard the stunned condition (and not both actions of your activation).

To add to above - heroes can also suffer strain to gain a movement point (up to twice per activation), so unless they have already suffered damage up to their endurance, they can remove stunned, gain movement points by suffering strain, then spend the movement points to move, and still have an action left to attack.

Also see Stunned from http://www.iki.fi/a1bert/TheConsolidatedImperialAssaultRules.pdf .

Edited by a1bert

Thanks this is really helpful and Vader can once again be the Dark Lord we all know him as

Also know that an attack can only Stun a defender if that attack deals 1 or more damage (some exceptions may apply for certain special abilities, like CT's Pin Them Down).

So Vader can be very hard to stun if he gets some good defense rolls.

To elaborate:

Stun is a condition keyword, stunned is the condition itself. Condition keywords require that the target suffered damage from the attack to grant the corresponding condition. If an ability gives a condition directly, it does not require that the target suffered damage. (Like 0-0-0's Shocking Palm.)

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1631857/ability-resolution-order-during-attacks