[Ruling] Graceful Guardian

By Bayushi Shunsuke, in L5R LCG: Rules Discussion

I am playing crane and have used Graceful Guardian.

My opponent takes his conflict action and pays 1 fate to play Banzai, I play Voice of Honor to cancel, will VoH cost me 1 fate because of graceful guardian?

What/When exactly is a players next action opportunity?

Would the same timing and ruling apply to Court Musician?

Just now, Bayushi Shunsuke said:

I am playing crane and have used Graceful Guardian.

My opponent takes his conflict action and pays 1 fate to play Banzai, I play Voice of Honor to cancel, will VoH cost me 1 fate because of graceful guardian?

What/When exactly is a players next action opportunity?

Would the same timing and ruling apply to Court Musician?

Yes, Voice of Honor will cost you 1 additional fate.

The action opportunity ends when the reaction window to that action having been taken closes—so Graceful Guardian (or Court Musician) will alter the cost of any Action card (or character or attachment) as well as any Interrupt or Reaction card played during or immediately after the action taken.

[Tyler Parrott, Oct 11 2019]

If a player's next action is to trigger Current of the Beryt, does the cost increase carry over to the two actions granted by Beryt?

Just now, Bayushi Shunsuke said:

If a player's next action is to trigger Current of the Beryt, does the cost increase carry over to the two actions granted by Beryt?

You would resolve both actions (given by the Current) within the same “action opportunity” and the cost increase would apply to both.

[Tyler Parrott, Oct 11 2019]

I have a couple of questions regarding the relationship between action opportunities and abilities such as Current of the Beryt (and the upcoming Austere Exemplar).

--It has been ruled that if you trigger Current of the Beryt in the action opportunity after triggering Court Musician, then both subsequent actions will benefit from the cost reduction (or any other effect that was applied to that action opportunity). However, what about the case where the order is reversed? Suppose I trigger Current of the Beryt, and as the first of my two additional actions I activate Court Musician. Will the second action benefit from Musician's cost reduction, or will it not take effect as the "current action opportunity" has not yet concluded? In short, when a player is able to take multiple actions, does each one exist in another action opportunity nested within the original, or is there only the one action opportunity encompassing everything?

If you trigger Current of the Beryt and then your first (of those two) actions is to trigger Court Musician, your second Beryt-action will not receive the discount, as your next action opportunity begins once your opponent ends their next action opportunity (once it passes back to you). The multiple actions created by Current of the Beryt/Austere Exemplar are all nested within a single action opportunity, as you’ve described.
[Tyler Parrott, Dec 22 2019]
Edited by Goateh