Target Reclusive Zokujin in Earth Conflicts

By Plarac, in L5R LCG: Rules Discussion

Hi,

Today I discussed with someone of my local community about the abilitie of Reclusive Zokujin. He says that in earth conflicts, it's possible to use Zokujin as a target (before the dash) with Shameful display and the player can first honor one of his character, but not by dishonoring Zokujin, this is possible by the change of on the board

The exact text box of Zokujin says

During earth conflicts, this character gains covert and is immune to enemy card effects.

If this is like he says, a player could declare a duel against Zokujin but the card effect will be null.

Maybe the question is a little dumd, but my question is not about the change of on the board.

/* BASED ON EARTH CONFLICTS */

My question is about what is the limit of the words "enemy card effects"? the textbox before the dash is considered an effect? Zokujin is a valid target for enemy cards like shameful display, duels, textboxs before the dash?

Thanks and regards

PLARAC

Edited by Plarac

To be chosen as a target, the target must be able to be affected by the ability, which Zokujin isn't.

Typically, with Shameful, players are able to choose dishonored characters for the dishonor and still honor their own character, or the reverse, because when they are choosing targets, you don't choose them specifically for each effect. The game doesn't know which you are going to do, so as long as it's a potentially valid target and your overall choices change the game state, you can trigger Shameful. However, Zokujin is immune and can't be affected by either outcome. It'd be like choosing a target attached with Pragmatism while the owner is lower honor.

As for 'enemy card effects,' anything that comes after the dash on an ability is the effect. Things before the dash are costs, requirements, or targeting choices.