Odd Setup Display

By guest313231, in Death Angel

So is it me, or does it appear that there is a long string of Marines in a row and some other cards branching off from them.

Looks...a little strange. I'm very excited about this game but that picture doesn't give me any indication on how this game would be played. Is this 1-6 players in the same way that Tannhauser was listed as 2-10 players (which was utter rubish...it was a 2 player game)?

I was not very pleased with Warhammer Invasion (way too abstract). Hopefully this will be a more more tactical.

Yeah, it looks like a string of troop cards with location cards branching out from them. It makes sense to me, having played the Space Hulk board game.

I'm guessing that your troop cards stay in one place on your game table, while the location cards are moved down along the line of your troop cards to represent movement through the space station.

You can see, at the front of the troop column, that there's a little arrangement of location cards. That's almost certainly unexplored terrain.

I don't expect that this is going to have the same sort of tactical play that we see in the Space Hulk board game. Some things will be abstract. It appears to be more tactical than Invasion, though. The focus is on a single squad of marines, after all. I expect that it's going to be at least a couple of degrees more abstract than the board game.

However, with decks of cards, the unexplored terrain and other encounters can be randomized, which is something you don't get with the board game. There might also be a greater variety of encounters or pressures on your troops as they try to accomplish their missions. There could be more layers of strategy in the card game than we see in the board game -- or maybe just different strategies.

I agree with Dave. It looks like the "main board" is actually the marching order of SM, and the location cards get played/moved around the marines, as opposed to the usual moving the PCs around the board. It's an interesting concept. We know there's at least some tactics, since the direction each marine faces, as well as which order they choose (can't repeat the same order the following round) determines what enemies they can oppose. So, the group will need to make sure there is always someone covering each direction, lest Stealers sneak up from that direction and munch.