Next Cycle

By Mon no Oni, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

Looking throught the 'net, you can find what comes after the Clan War expansion. No overall cycle title, but these are the names of the individual Dynasty packs:

• L5C29 - Rokugan at War
  • L5C30 - Spreading Shadows
  • L5C31 - In Pursuit of Truth
  • L5C32 - Campaigns of Conquest
  • L5C33 - As Honor Demands
  • L5C34 - Atonement
Edited by Mon no Oni

I've got my eye on Spreading Shadows for sure.

1 hour ago, Ishi Tonu said:

I've got my eye on Spreading Shadows for sure.

On a scale of 1-to-10, how disappointed would you be if it turns out it's the Lying Darkness who's being referenced, and not the Shadowlands?

in Pursuit of Truth would sure nod towards Lying Darkness. Plus the Nothing has been an active part of stories (Ujina going missing for one) where as the Shadowlands have just been lazing around, getting stomped by the Crab.

Shadows are also notorious for shinobi (ie, shadow brands), just saying :)

Either way all connects to my daimyo, Yogo Junzo - an esteemed shugenja, a loyal Scorpion, a fated Yogo, a follower of our Dark Lord.

17 hours ago, Mangod said:

On a scale of 1-to-10, how disappointed would you be if it turns out it's the Lying Darkness who's being referenced, and not the Shadowlands?

12...……..we don't need another subplot just yet. The Clan Wars are about to begin with the Shadowlands threat quietly growing. We don't need to bog the writers down with 2 big bads………….just yet.

At the very least, I'd like to see more of the two Shadowlands characters (Miki and "Alteredsarnai") that were marauding in the Crab lands.

If we got any of the big name characters that turned to the Shadowlands in the old lore, Tadaka, Yori, Junzo, etc., I'd be ecstatic.

Also, any named Oni, preferably Akuma, would be amazing, but, I think we'll likely see some generic shadowspawn, goblins, ogres, oni, etc. I'm cool with that too.

18 hours ago, DarkHorse said:

in Pursuit of Truth would sure nod towards Lying Darkness. Plus the Nothing has been an active part of stories (Ujina going missing for one) where as the Shadowlands have just been lazing around, getting stomped by the Crab.

Shadowlands already beyond the wall razing Crab lands is not what I would call 'getting stomped by the Crab'

The Shadowlands has been and active part of most of the Crab fictions. In those that highlight the struggle between the Crab and the Shadowlands, even when the Crab "win" it sill comes at a terrible cost.

The Nothing is too small of a player in the story to devote the amount of writing needed to get everyone up to speed on what it is, and why it's bad for Rokugan.

There are plenty of other more well-known subplots that 'Pursuit of Truth' could be about.

2 hours ago, Ishi Tonu said:

12...……..we don't need another subplot just yet. The Clan Wars are about to begin with the Shadowlands threat quietly growing. We don't need to bog the writers down with 2 big bads………….just yet.

Also at the rate these stories come out... having two big plots might be a little too much right now.

2 hours ago, RafaelNN said:

Also at the rate these stories come out... having two big plots might be a little too much right now.

Be nice if they start building it up by adding a few neutral characters with Spider Clan trait here and there like they’ve been doing with the Mantis clan.

6 hours ago, Ishi Tonu said:

All joking aside, the Nothing currently has had more impactful camera time than Shadowlands/Fu Leng. The disappearance of Isawa Ujina and the involvement of Shosuro Sadao is far more front and center than any "scenes from the distant Crab lands" fictions. In the LCG, we currently have 3 Shadow cards and 3 Shadowlands cards (1 being Tainted Hero) so there are already 2 Big Bads on the boil.

15 hours ago, DarkHorse said:

All joking aside, the Nothing currently has had more impactful camera time than Shadowlands/Fu Leng. The disappearance of Isawa Ujina and the involvement of Shosuro Sadao is far more front and center than any "scenes from the distant Crab lands" fictions.

I think what makes for a more impactful story is not always what is most important to the plot. The disappearance of the Master of the Void is a bid deal for sure...…...vs "This just in: Crab still fighting the Shadowlands at the wall." It's not really a close race as to what makes for a more impactful story. However, the fact that the Shadowlands are becoming more organized and have managed to get forces beyond the wall are likely more important overall as that will have a larger impact on Rogukan and play a bigger role during the Clan Wars.

At the very least, the various military forces of each clan are likely going to be stretched thin. The stage is pretty much set for one (or more) of the various factions to start using Shadowlands forces to bolster their military strength, out of desperation...………...

If the story team wants to make The Nothing the first nail to get hammered down, while the Shadowlands slowly builds it's strength, I'm cool with that too.

Well if you believe something is actually influencing Sotorii then the Shadowland has been front and center in the story for a while. As for overt Shadowlands representation in the story I'd say they are about as prolific as the Crab are in the story. So that's about right. We've had alot of Shadowlands stuff in the RPG.

My opinion is that we are suppose to feel that Crab is losing a battle of attrition right now, which is why they are super concerned about the lack of support. We know there have been multiple incursions beyond the wall and there are things ranging in Crab's backfield, which is incredibly bad.

Edited by phillos
1 hour ago, phillos said:

Well if you believe something is actually influencing Sotorii then the Shadowland has been front and center in the story for a while.

Unless the thing influencing Sotorii is the Nothing this time around.

The Crab have had their backs against the wall (pun intended) for 1000 years. The stories so far (not talking about the RPG, that is a different kettle of fish) haven't really seemed like the End of Days or really anything more than business as usual. Even the incursion in the excellent Village story, a bushi rocks up and cleans house. Her fate is unknown but in any event, they do pretty good for a peasant and a single bushi. People are concerned but that is just another day out on the frontier. It seems bad but it always is.

I am not saying that it isn't bad and it isn't the End of Days, just the stories released so far sure seem not to convey that. Even the massing at the border. Shadowlands have been massing at the border for 1000 years. Until we see another Maw, it is business as usual. As usual.