Rules question. When do you ready after defending?

By Fracturedorb, in Marvel Champions: The Card Game

I see that the heroes ready after the player phase, but if you exhaust to defend during the enemy phase, does that mean your hero can’t do anything during the next player phase?

2 hours ago, Fracturedorb said:

I see that the heroes ready after the player phase, but if you exhaust to defend during the enemy phase, does that mean your hero can’t do anything during the next player phase?

Not anything that requires exhaustion (absent another ready effect), no.

Also, if someone draws your obligation, you can only get rid of it from the game if you can exhaust once you’ve flipped to alter-ego.

Big thing to remember, actions by default do not require exhausting. It is only those that have exhaust as part of the text that force the exhaust or can not be used while exhausted.

3 hours ago, loki_tbc said:

Big thing to remember, actions by default do not require exhausting. It is only those that have exhaust as part of the text that force the exhaust or can not be used while exhausted.

+ the standard Attack, Thwart, and Defend actions.

1 hour ago, jonboyjon1990 said:

+ the standard Attack, Thwart, and Defend actions.

And Recovery. In short, all the actions you don't need to spend a card on.

On 10/25/2019 at 10:44 PM, Derrault said:

Not anything that requires exhaustion (absent another ready effect), no.

Also, if someone draws your obligation, you can only get rid of it from the game if you can exhaust once you’ve flipped to alter-ego.

Literally happened to me in our third game. Had to discard a card instead, which hurt my next turn by exactly the one energy I could have used to power a nice trick.

Nice thing was, it let me flip to alter-ego which set up an Aunt May heal at the start of my next turn.

As a side note, being a fan of the web head, AUNT MAY IS AMAZING! 1 energy cost (essentially free if you're in Peter mode) for a support that gives a 4 point heal each turn you're in alter-ego just for exhausting it? AWESOME! I've already started calling it Aunt May's Chicken Noodle Soup every time I use it.

Peter tanked a lot of abuse from Rhino because of her. BEST. SOUP. EVER.

Edited by Deathseed

Isn't defense an exhausting action. Otherwise you would just end up taking all damage except for soaking damage

On 10/25/2019 at 6:24 PM, Fracturedorb said:

Yes, your identity card will continued to be exhausted until the end of the following player phase. You would not be able to perform a Basic Attack, Thwart, or Defend. However, there are cards that allow the hero to "ready" after defending (I believe it's in the Protection deck) which negates the opportunity cost of defending. Remember, you can still flip your identity card if you're exhausted.