The most accessible LCG? Preview article

By jonboyjon1990, in Marvel Champions: The Card Game

Nice write up, but as I commented this is a matter of perspective (as most things are).

55 minutes ago, IceHot42 said:

Nice write up, but as I commented this is a matter of perspective (as most things are).

Just to replicate the chat from BGG:

Nice write-up. Although I will dispute that it is the most accessible LCG game. That is a matter of perspective. I bought a copy and love it but here are the things an informed buyer might want to know:

You can play 4-player right out of the box, but only if you want to limit your options as there are only 4 aspects (thus each player can only play 1 aspect and you can not double up). That is essentially the same as LotR LCG.

The are neutral cards but only 4 copies of each. Thus some cards dont offer full access in 2-player mode. many of those are 1 per deck so not a big deal unless First Aid or Haymaker become staple cards.

The game allows deck construction of 40-50 cards with advantages and disadvantages to either side of the spectrum. However, you can not run a 50 card deck for two different players. There simply are not enough cards.

1 of the 4 aspects has one less cards then the other 3. Leadership only has 18 cards the other 3 aspects have 19 cards.

The expansions are supposed to have reprints so I do recommend getting just 1 core box and hanging out for the expansions that interest you.

Cheers!

Those are all true observations of the contents of the box, yes. But what does any of the above have to do with the accessibility of the game? Or indeed, what is it about those factors that make it less accessible than other LCGs?

I suppose what I meant when I posited Marvel Champions as FFG's most accessible LCG to date, it was due to a confluence of a few factors:

- Accessible theme and IP
- Deliberately streamlined gameplay
- Expansion pack release model: player and scenario cards in separate products; hero packs packaged as playable decks
- Only one core set required for a playset.
- Core set packaged with more options and replayability than previous releases

Edited by jonboyjon1990