Opinions on setting tropes/thoughts

By Y Mab Darogan, in Your Settings

So I’ve been rattling around a setting idea for a campaign for my wife and I’m slowly getting there but since it’s my first ‘non standard’ as in deviates from the books assumptions need some feedback on two ideas around magic.

1. Restricting ‘Primal’ to my elven analogue.

2. Doing away with divine/arcane and having casting gauntlets that allow access to x number of spells. Implement functions would be built into gauntlet composition and add ons.

Question for the creative community. What if any issues would I have mixing the different spell groups? And what would be a balanced number per gauntlet to not be overpowered and also not underpowered.

All comments appreciated and no offence will be taken as I’ve just started with this thought.

To point 2, have you looked at the Rune magic skill in Terrinoth?

It has its own actions available and requires a runeshard (special implement) to use. Also, each shard has a special ability that even non-magic users can use that is usually a weapon attack of some sort.

1 hour ago, c__beck said:

To point 2, have you looked at the Rune magic skill in Terrinoth?

It has its own actions available and requires a runeshard (special implement) to use. Also, each shard has a special ability that even non-magic users can use that is usually a weapon attack of some sort.

Yes, thank you. It’s the kernel of my caster gauntlet idea. I was trying to work out if there were any combination of spells that shouldn’t be put together for balance or if there’s a minimum/maximum number. It’s very early doors as an idea at the moment.

26 minutes ago, HorusArisen said:

Yes, thank you. It’s the kernel of my caster gauntlet idea. I was trying to work out if there were any combination of spells that shouldn’t be put together for balance or if there’s a minimum/maximum number. It’s very early doors as an idea at the moment.

I would keep it to 4 or 5 magic actions, since that's what the core magic skills use. But then again, we're getting 3 (I think) new magic actions in the EPG, so maybe do 5 or 6.

34 minutes ago, c__beck said:

I would keep it to 4 or 5 magic actions, since that's what the core magic skills use. But then again, we're getting 3 (I think) new magic actions in the EPG, so maybe do 5 or 6.

Any you think definitely shouldn’t be grouped together?

9 hours ago, HorusArisen said:

Any you think definitely shouldn’t be grouped together?

Sounds like you've got a pretty cool concept going here!

I don't think any magic actions out balance any others because they all have different functions. The difficulty tables seem to work well and are "balanced", if you will, in my opinion. You could do an "opposition" magic type of thing between magic actions and not have them on the same gauntlet like follows:

• Attack opposes Heal
  • Augment opposes Curse
  • Conjure opposes Dispel

With that said, every gauntlet could have an innate Barrier magic action themed to the type of gauntlet ... if you have that type of thing. Every gauntlet would be able to provide the basic Utility magic action because ... well, magic. 😃

As far as keeping Primal magic only known to a specific race like elves is a great idea! You could link Primal magic to Knowledge (Forgotten) or Knowledge (Ancient), if you've created more Knowledge skills.

Anyways, that's what came to my mind.

Good luck!

Z

Thanks. all advice is helpful. I’ve not had as much Genesys gaming as I’d like so I’ve been wary on implementing changes but I’m keen to get a campaign going with my wife and a couple of our friends based on a few different inspirations.

Genesys really is a tool kit. You can pretty much change anything and as long as you're using the tools in the kit then the game doesn't really become unbalanced. Also; don't be afraid to tell your players at session 0; "So we're play testing some mechanics I came up with. If anything gets out of balance I might just change or scrap some ideas. Also feel free to just give me feedback about some of these mechanics."

As long as you're up front with the players you can pretty much do whatever you want. They might also have their own really cool ideas that you haven't even thought of.

I think your idea is really cool. It reminds me of the magic in Fable 3 (?). I say go ham with it; come up with cool scenarios for mixing and matching gauntlets. Maybe each gauntlet gives 2 magic actions, so a pair gives 4. As you said above; give them hard points to customize with. Create legendary versions that have custom spell modifiers. If a player wears a duplicate of the same gauntlet maybe it buffs the 2 magic actions. So they choose to specialize.