The Price of Failure - New L5R Fiction Story Discussion

By Vulcan646, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

34 minutes ago, 987654321 said:

IT'S CANON!!!

muahahaha-iwillone-day-take-over-the-wor

Given the timing I was half wondering if this year's Halloween fiction might be a current story-line related one...

I do expect something today still, and it would be a great time to check in with the Crab and see what they've been up to, maybe get some updates on that tower investigation.

13 minutes ago, Schmoozies said:

I do expect something today still, and it would be a great time to check in with the Crab and see what they've been up to, maybe get some updates on that tower investigation.

That's pretty much what I was expecting. It doesn't feel like the crab have 'done anything' of real significance aside from the Taka/Yoritomo agreement to fence stolen goods trade treaty discussion that never happened as they've never met and the 'look! Naga exist' sequence.

Hey, Kuni Yori talks to a skeleton and has a spooky mask.

Fair enough - and apologies (especially since that was one of yours, I believe?). I was even talking to a friend about that one since ways of reducing the signs of the taint is relevant to an RPG game I'm GM-ing.

(The PCs have, naturally, got the wrong end of the stick and are about to make things massively worse in that special way distinctive of people who don't actually know what's going on but think they do..)

For some reason I thought that was older than the Naga one, though. There's not been a crab fiction in a while and I've obviously forgotten the order they were published in.

I guess there was the village-gets-overrun-by-assorted-nasties, too, which was around the same time. I can't think of one ('a call to....' aside) post Tiger Stalks His Prey , though

I was about to write a post moaning about the lack of Crab fiction and then I went to check the home page to see if we had any Halloween fiction posted today and I see we just got a fiction set in Crab lands.

Edited by phillos
6 minutes ago, phillos said:

I was about to write a post moaning about the lack of Crab fiction and then I went to check the home page to see if we had any Halloween fiction posted today and I see we just got a fiction set in Crab lands.

That feeling when a fiction gets posted mere minutes after you saw the main page...

Edit: wait. Where is the fiction?

Edited by 987654321
6 minutes ago, phillos said:

While good, you may be a little let down at the specific focus of the story.

17 minutes ago, Schmoozies said:

While good, you may be a little let down at the specific focus of the story.

That's fine. The subject material was definitely Crab related even if the main character is not.

56 minutes ago, phillos said:

That's fine. The subject material was definitely Crab related even if the main character is not.

Just need that periodic check-in on Kuni Yori. Still creepy? Yep. Given himself to the Taint? Not yet, still ‘good’. Carry on Crab, carry on.

51 minutes ago, Doji Hyōkin said:

Just need that periodic check-in on Kuni Yori. Still creepy? Yep. Given himself to the Taint? Not yet, still ‘good’. Carry on Crab, carry on.

Still believes the ends justifies the means? Yup, that's our guy all right!

I am only about a year late on this one...

But Seppun honor guard whose only role is to guard things, the singular thing they do best, and are the best of the best of the best at it to have been assigned to the prince.

So the Crane just stroll in with equal or less numbers and can just easily cut all of them down effortlessly without sustaining a single injury or taking one casualty. Like its just absolutely nothing. The Unicorn guard of their clan heir had more trouble and took more casualty at the hands of untrained mountain bandits.

One singular Dragon shows up and now suddenly they have a problem. 😒

It's bad enough to constantly use the imperials as complete jobbers without the characters in the story being entirely aware of it and building their plans and reactions around it.

Also, I am guessing that Hitomi isn't going to be expected to commit seppuku despite having literally failed in the exact same way and having lost Sotorii. Even though that was "the price of failure"-- just.. you know... not if you are a named character from one of the 7 color coded clans.

Edited by TheHobgoblyn