Bones of Arnor final mission question (Spoilers)

By KuniMasori, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

Spoilers ahead!!!

In the final mission, Atarin never spawned. I don't know if we missed something.

After we broke through the barrier, there was a threat token seemingly representing Atarin on a pile of skulls or something. We interacted with that. The mission objective switched to "Defeat Atarin" but he never spawned on the map. Did we miss something? Or was there some kind of bug? We killed the app before saving in our loss (just before we ran out of time) but we want to find out if it's worth it to play the map again or if we'll lose another 2 hours.

So anybody that fought Atarin in the finale mission can explain how he spawned so I know if we just failed or if I need to contact app support.

I would contact app support; that sounds like a bug. In my campaigns, Atarin would spawn right after I interacted with that threat token.

We had this happen during our campaign as well. It happened because the enemy bar/tray was full and Atarin didn't just pop up on the end, he just didn't appear at all.

We killed the app and relaunched it and then proceeded to kill off one of the weaker enemies. When we then interacted with Atarins threat token, he spawned as normal at the very end of the enemy bar.

This definitely appears to be a bug.

Ok so I guess since we continued to play for a round or two after (thinking we may have missed something) I guess we broke our save game and lost 20 **** hours in a campaign we won't know if we won... yay...

I contacted software support, at least the bug will have been reported.

Thank you for your answers!

Good news! Almost a year later and this bug still exists 😞

@SpiderMana A player in our group found a tool to tweak our save game. It didn't work exactly well but at least we were able to redo the last mission, and we made sure there was space in the monster row to spawn Atarin. Still, it's bad enough if it has not been fixed yet.

I just made a copy of the save file before playing the mission. It's easy enough on steam/android, but to be honest I wouldn't know how to do it on iOS.

Edited by Uninvited Guest

We have not started the DLC campaign yet (paused to wait for the new content then coronavirus) but we do plan to backup the savegame every night from now on. I don't know if it's possible on iOS either (it's easy enough on everything else I guess).

Ah, I am playing on Steam. I’ll probably start doing that, then. Unfortunately I didn’t know about this bug before last night, so our save file is pretty well screwed by now.

@SpiderMana I'll check our facebook group to remember what we had on the issue. If I can find you (and all those who will stumble on this post with that bug) a recipe to at least redo the last mission from scratch.

12 minutes ago, KuniMasori said:

@SpiderMana I'll check our facebook group to remember what we had on the issue. If I can find you (and all those who will stumble on this post with that bug) a recipe to at least redo the last mission from scratch.

We were so close to the end I was honestly just planning on trying to find a video of the end so we could see what happened. We felt pretty confident that we'd kill him no problem.

41 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

We were so close to the end I was honestly just planning on trying to find a video of the end so we could see what happened. We felt pretty confident that we'd kill him no problem.

Atarin was disappointing. Legolas and Beravor were just crushing him and Aragorn was playing Guardian and providing some defense. I love the game, however I do wish the bosses were more dynamic in their combat than regular enemies(using stuns, cleave to enemies in the same space, etc). I did however enjoy Uluk. I am hoping shadowed paths brings more dynamic battles!

42 minutes ago, mattman285 said:

cleave to enemies in the same space

...Cleave only hits enemies that are in the same group? I might be misunderstanding what you're getting at here.

They straight-up mentioned in the last Journeys livestream that the worm-like enemies and the new undead enemies will move uniquely, and that the taskmaster will interact with other enemies (presumably giving them some extra movement or attack or something), and the Balrog will absolutely be a unique encounter (something you can't kill). I think it makes sense that Atarin is fairly straightforward, as well, since he's the first boss.

I agree they should branch out a bit, but I trust the devs to keep things interesting.

52 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

...Cleave only hits enemies that are in the same group? I might be misunderstanding what you're getting at here.

They straight-up mentioned in the last Journeys livestream that the worm-like enemies and the new undead enemies will move uniquely, and that the taskmaster will interact with other enemies (presumably giving them some extra movement or attack or something), and the Balrog will absolutely be a unique encounter (something you can't kill). I think it makes sense that Atarin is fairly straightforward, as well, since he's the first boss.

I agree they should branch out a bit, but I trust the devs to keep things interesting.

I know cleave well. It’s the Legolas staple. I was referencing opportunities for enemies to hit multiple targets as an example, similar to cleave.
Anyway, I killed Atarin without much effort. He was the final boss of the campaign but not the first, however I’ve played enough now where even on the more difficult setting I breeze through campaigns without much thought.

I also pre ordered the new expansion but haven’t followed any articles as to what is being added. In my opinion, the game needs:

1. More dynamic enemy battles

2. Better character interactions(this to me would give a better story vibe).

Otherwise I like where this is going and will likely do 2-3 plays of the new campaign to see how things change and maybe even start over from the first campaign.

Ooooh gotcha, "cleave" for the enemies' attacks.

I think you'll be pleased with the box. Two of the five new roles seem to have support vibes, to me, and as I mentioned there's some distinct new enemy types.

7 hours ago, SpiderMana said:

Ooooh gotcha, "cleave" for the enemies' attacks.

I think you'll be pleased with the box. Two of the five new roles seem to have support vibes, to me, and as I mentioned there's some distinct new enemy types.

I will be pretty excited to play it! But grey don’t play so everything gets painted first!