Straining with strain

By Viperho, in Imperial Assault Campaign

Any tips on getting strain back, seems like I am always out of it when playing the rebels! Playing a 2 player core campaign game with my son with 2 hero party Jyn and Ghark Legendary vs Imperial with the storm trooper speciality and default core campaign agenda cards. Its basically our 1st campaign playthrough. We are swapping sides each mission so we can learn both sides. We are a little over halfway through campaign with 4 empire wins and 2 rebel wins. Rebels just seem to get overwhelmed now with strong stormtroopers and not enough strain to mitigate the damage. Rebels did earn a spectre ally (Sabine) but not sure if she is really helping since the extra starting threat the imperials get for ally seems more useful.

Kinda wish the legendary bonus gave back some strain regen or something. seems like a big limitation 2 hero party vs 4 hero party that has a bigger strain pool.

Edited by Viperho

The biggest tip, I think, would be to use a surge while attacking to recover strain whenever possible.

Killing a figure will generally trump that, but if you're not removing it from the board you probably what to recover the strain.

yea, I think the two starting heroes we picked just are not good at strain management since they throw a lot of reds. I probably need to rethink the weapons I have equipped. more yellow dice maybe?

Now, I feel like with 2 players I never can get an opportunity to rest since the objectives generally require you to run pretty far distances. I think the 2 player legendary bonus needs work imho. the extra health and activations are nice, but they don't quite cut it since the empire can focus fire 2 heroes easier then 4. maybe

Though, I just need more experience under my belt... love the challenge though!

Edited by Viperho

Don't forget that you can perform a rest action to clear all your strain.

It's easier to find a situation to be able to Rest when playing with 2 heroes. (You need to move half as many heroes across the map.)

There are also some items like Bacta Pump in the newer expansions which help the rebel heroes a lot.

MHD-19 can pull Adrenaline Stims from the supply deck and administer to a hero most in need.

When you purchase class cards and items, you need to take into account their effect on strain.

Edited by a1bert
2 hours ago, onyersix said:

Don't forget that you can perform a rest action to clear all your strain.

thanks, for some reason I thought resting only gave back half strain. I will start planning to rest more often, I think.

53 minutes ago, Viperho said:

thanks, for some reason I thought resting only gave back half strain. I will start planning to rest more often, I think.

Oh, yep... that would be a big hindrance. To be specific, it recovers strain equal to your endurance. That's important for recovering damage from resting (when you have no strain you recover one damage for each strain you are unable to recover, excluding app campaigns. In all cases, not just resting).