Mantis Clan

By ChuiSaoul, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

Do someone know why Mantis. Because, I see a meaning in all of the clan name : Carb = great armor, Unicorn = horses, Lion = proud and fearless, Scorpion = sneaky and poisonnous, Crane = elequent, Dragon and Pheonix = mystical in there own way. But for the mantis... I feel like that's just a random cool animal. Is there something I missed about the animal or the lore ?

16 minutes ago, ChuiSaoul said:

Do someone know why Mantis. Because, I see a meaning in all of the clan name : Carb = great armor, Unicorn = horses, Lion = proud and fearless, Scorpion = sneaky and poisonnous, Crane = elequent, Dragon and Pheonix = mystical in there own way. But for the mantis... I feel like that's just a random cool animal. Is there something I missed about the animal or the lore ?

Originally it was due to the ancestral weapons of the clan being a set of Kama and the profile of someone wielding them being reminiscent of the profile of a Mantis' clawed arms.

In setting the islands where the clan settled after leaving Crab lands had an abundance of mantis living on it and their association as being symbols of courage and fearlessness as well as being lucky led to many Mantis sailors tending to keep them as pets and good luck charms. When the clan was finally recognized as a minor clan the champion chose the Mantis as their emblem for that reason.

Edited by Schmoozies
Typos

I thought it was because the mantis is renown for eating its mate during copulation. :P

On 10/23/2019 at 10:19 PM, DarkHorse said:

I thought it was because the mantis is renown for eating its mate during copulation. :P

So do Spiders and Scorpions, so at least you can say the three Clans have something in common!

On 10/26/2019 at 7:11 PM, Magus Black said:

So do Spiders and Scorpions, so at least you can say the three Clans have something in common!

None of them should exist? Hey, that's two things they have in common! 😂