Monkey time?

By Zozimusque Romanus, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

I have a question about the timing for events related to opening a chest. Last night we were playing with two heroes, and it was getting toward the end of the game. I was the Overlord, and had only a few threat tokens, which was too bad, because I had the "Curse of the Monkey God" card that I was aching to play when the next chest was opened. My girlfriend decided to open a chest in the middle of a battle, which kind of surprised me, and I was disappointed, thinking I wouldn't get to turn anyone into a monkey. But the chest turned out to be cursed, which gave me enough Threat to be able to play the card, which I did, and then filled the monkey with bone arrows. I later won by a single turn's worth of game time, forcing a re-roll on a dodge to ****** the victory away from the heroes in the final round of play. It was epic, but I later wondered whether I had cheated on the timing with the chest: does the acquisition of threat from curses precede the activation of the monkey trap, or vice versa? Anyone have any thoughts?

page 19 of the JitD rulebook spells out the rules for "Curse". It looks like you get the threat tokens and the ability to play a trap card before any treasures or coins are given out.

JP

Thanks for the quick response! I always have such a hard time finding anything in that rulebook. It could really use an index, IMHO.

Zozimus said:

Thanks for the quick response! I always have such a hard time finding anything in that rulebook. It could really use an index, IMHO.

Download the PDF versions of the rules available in the support section here. Then you can search key words and find things much quicker.

edroz said:

Zozimus said:

Download the PDF versions of the rules available in the support section here. Then you can search key words and find things much quicker.

Just be sure to search the FAQ too. They don't update the online rulebooks.