LCG noob with a couple questions

By Hippie Moosen, in Marvel Champions: The Card Game

So I'm a moderate Marvel fan and a pretty big fan of several FFG games, but I've never played one of their LCG's before. This one has me intrigued after the last couple articles, so I was thinking I might try it out. I just have a few questions that I was hoping some LCG veterans could answer before I go off and pre-order a core set.

Do these types of LCG's, generally speaking, gain a decent sized player base after a couple months?

Is it common for a cooperative game like this one to get events at LGS's that have a large enough community?

Is there such a thing as a tournament for this type of game? If so, how exactly would that work, in a more general sense?

Are there any LCG's that are cooperative like this one, that eventually add some form of player v player format? What can I say, the idea of doing Civil War as a format in this just sounds fun to me :P

I'm sure a few of these questions are no-brainers, and some may be answered in an article I didn't catch, but any feedback from the community is much appreciated.

Thank you so much for reading and happy gaming everyone!

Edited by Hippie Moosen

Yeah they generally will pick up a playerbase, especially the cooperative ones.

Coop games can get events. Mostly prize kits for people who come out to play. This should be viable given how Champions is very pick up and play, as opposed to Arkham which is a bit more structured, longer, and complex.

There are sort of tournments. LotR has Epic Scenarios where more than 1 group team up and interact with each other. Arkham has stuff like Labrynths of Lunancy, or the recent Blob that ate Everything that can support a hundred players. They are all generally cooperative though.

No coop has added PvP. The closes is the recent gencon events for LotR. Players get modules and use them to build their own custom scenario. So you can build it and give it to another group to play and compete to see who can win faster.

Well actually LoTR has added a PVP variant.

you make a custom scenario for your opponent, they do likewise. You play the custom scenario and the cards in these custom scenarios will give your opponent the option of choosing targets, etc

its been the format of the last couple fellowships events and Gencon events

Thanks for the responses you two! I'll definitely look into picking this one up now.

On 10/18/2019 at 10:41 AM, Ywingscum said:

Well actually LoTR has added a PVP variant.

you make a custom scenario for your opponent, they do likewise. You play the custom scenario and the cards in these custom scenarios will give your opponent the option of choosing targets, etc

its been the format of the last couple fellowships events and Gencon events

I could see a game where you place bids, ala competitive figure skating, and score points based on how well you perform.

Like, one group bids Ultron with Masters of Evil, a difficulty X program, and the other group bids Rhino with Another mod that’s only X-5 difficulty; if both groups win their games, the harder difficulty team wins the round.

Actually Arkham now has a competitive many vs one variant that the designers showed off at Arkham Nights. Though whether that ever becomes a product is anyone's guess. It might be an event only thing.

LCGs have their biggest audience usually right at the beginning. Then their audience tapers down as time goes on for the competitive games. For the co-op games it's harder to observe since many people play these games at home or even just solo. I feel like they end up being alittle more flat considering how long a tail LOTR had and AH:TCG shows no sign of slowing down support. In fact AH:TCG has to be one of the more well supported LCGs so it must be making good money for FFG.

Co-op's don't usually have weekly game nights or a tournament scene officially like the competitive games do. Usually local game store meet ups are player run. Though there are a few official events per year like the Gen Con scenarios, Arkham Nights for AH:TCG and the Fellowship event for LOTR, but we are talking about 2-3 events per year. If you are looking to establish a weekly local scene at your store you'll probably need to do some campaigning and/or social media work on your end to find players in your area willing to meet up.

Edited by phillos