Review - A great game that requires effort for maximum fun

By TheWiseGuy, in Marvel Champions: The Card Game

The thing is, X-Men may well be Marvel's push now and FF in the near future - but FFG were probably designing the first Story Box at least 6-12 months ago - so at that point they were probably thinking about Avengers/GotG.

One thing I really appreciate about the latest X-Men event is it isn't a retread of something we've seen before. Alot of the recent Marvel events have been pretty uninspired.

On 10/17/2019 at 12:37 PM, phillos said:

One thing I really appreciate about the latest X-Men event is it isn't a retread of something we've seen before. Alot of the recent Marvel events have been pretty uninspired.

I haven't been reading these, but I remember a few years back how Marvel tried to de-emphasize mutants and replace them with Inhumans. Because they didn't have the film license, and any character that started in an X-Men book would belong to Fox on film, and they couldn't even use the word mutant in their movies.

The X-Men were huge in the '90s, so I'm not surprised they want to give them a push and maybe regain some of their luster.

Edited by Vince79

Yeah the only thing of value that came out of that Inhuman boom in my opinion was Kamala Khan. It seems like now they are definitely reversing that fairly transparent and unpopular initiative.

As I see it, now the only nut they need to crack is how do you make reading X-Men books not super intimidating for new readers considering the very weight-y continuity while still servicing the fans that stuck around and care about that stuff. They are certainly attempting something very different right now.

Edited by phillos
2 hours ago, phillos said:

As I see it, now the only nut they need to crack is how do you make reading X-Men books not super intimidating for new readers considering the very weight-y continuity while still servicing the fans that stuck around and care about that stuff.

I have to confess: I loved reading the "rebooted" X-Men (that brought in Wolverine, Storm, Nightcrawler, etc). But at some point the X-Men became hugely popular, a phenomenon, and Marvel started flooding the market with mutant books. At that point, it just became too much and I had to take a step away from it, I quit reading them.