One quick rules question

By Makubex54, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

If the overlord was to attack a hero and then play Crushing Blow but the hero played a Blocked feat card, how would this interact?

A) Would the overlord miss and spend for Crushing Blow?

B) Could the Overlord take back Crushing Blow since the attack was a miss and not discard or pay threat?

The reason I'm asking is is the local Sea of Blood campaign I'm playing in had this come up and everyone can see both sides.

first of all block is a feat card with the trigger

that you need to play the card after a monster has made a succesful melee or ranged attack against the triggering hero.

the hero rolls a power dice wich can cancel the attack on a enhancement or blank.

so to take back isnt possible unless you made it a houze rule of it.

Short answer: no one knows. When last we badgered FFG with questions, no one felt like trying to come up with every possible OL/feat card interaction and writing up a separate question for each one, so we submitted this question instead:

Q: Are there any general rules for resolving what happens if the overlord wants to play a card and a hero wants to play a feat card both in response to the same triggering event? Which card is resolved first?
A: The active side has priority.

Unfortunately, that still seems to leave several possibilities open:

Option #1: The active side gets the first opportunity to play a card in response to a triggering condition. The overlord plays Crushing Blow, and the card is resolved in its entirety; the overlord pays threat and discards a treasure. At this point, the hero could play Blocked in response to the same triggering event, but it would have no effect (since the attack is no longer causing damage and the Crushing Blow card has already been resolved), so a rational hero will save the card.

Since Descent is not a speed game, if the heroes played Blocked before giving the overlord a reasonable opportunity to play Crushing Blow, the overlord could ask them to back up and give him a chance to play first. However, under no circumstances would the Blocked and Crushing Blow cards both be played on the same attack; if the overlord plays Crushing Blow, the heroes always get to keep their feat card, even if they attempted to play it first.

Option #2: Cards played by the active side are resolved first, regardless of play order. A monster makes an attack, damage is calculated, and the heroes studiously ask the overlord if he intends to play any cards in response; the overlord player says no. Then a hero reveals the Blocked card. The overlord player changes his mind and plays Crushing Blow, which is resolved first (because it was played by the active side) even though it was played second. The overlord pays the threat cost and discards a treasure. Then, Blocked (which was already played) is resolved, but has no effect; the hero loses the feat card.

Option #3: The active side gets the first opportunity to play a card in response to a triggering condition, and plays Crushing Blow, paying its threat cost. But the effect of Crushing Blow doesn't take effect immediately; the text "instead of dealing damage..." means that the effect is deferred until damage would be dealt. (Similar to an Aim card, that is played before an attack is rolled but causes a reroll that happens afterwards.) Before damage is dealt, a hero plays Blocked in response to the same triggering condition (an attack that "doesn't miss," not necessarily one that deals damage), and changes the result to a miss. This means that damage is never dealt, and therefore Crushing Blow has no effect; the card and threat are wasted.

Option #4: As option #3, except that the threat paid for Crushing Blow is part of the effect, rather than part of playing the card (since the cost appears in the card instructions, rather than in the circle at the lower-left as usual). The card is wasted, but the overlord keeps his threat.

I don't see any reading where the overlord would get his Crushing Blow card back after attempting to play it, though.

My 2 cents, I'd play is as Option #1 in Antistone's post. The Overlord - as the active player in this example - has first dibs on playing a card for any given trigger condition. If the heroes jumped the gun and threw down Blocked, the Overlord could either save his CB for later (since the heroes have already volunteered more information than they needed to), or he could ask that they rewind since he has priority to play cards. If he chooses the latter, he then plays CB, it gets resolved, and the heroes keep their Blocked card for another time (I'm assuming they wouldn't play it anyway if it has no effect.)