Prelude to War (Community Campaign)

By Jukey, in Runewars Miniatures Game

This will be the "official" Community Campaign thread for tracking results and furthering the campaign.

Here is the beginning map. I still need to get names of places into the map, but I can at least update the boundaries each month, so our games played will make a visible impact.

Season 1, part 1 (Prelude to War)

2VketPc.jpg

In the latest Dragonholt Post news, Rumors of Waiqar in the Frozen North have been circulating with increasing frequency, despite an uneasy quiet on the Mistland Front. Latari Hunting parties have been reported in the lower peninsula of Lorimor and the Borderlands far north of the Bloodwoods. A tattered remnant of a trader caravan turned up in Forge with warnings of Uthuk War Bands roaming far from the Ru Steppes.

The next Great War of Terrinoth is about to begin!

Season 1, Part 2.

TAEuQyL.jpg

The Grayhaven Herald reports an onslaught of Waiqar in the lands south of Dunwarr. Fort Cradle is all that stands against the undead. Meanwhile, the Dragonholt Post speaks of success in the reclamation of the lands east of Sudunya against Latari Raiders. The threat of Uthuk looms in the east.

Edited by Jukey
part 2

This post will be where each new round is announced each month. I will do my best to track results as we go.

Oct-Nov

Border skirmish

150 pts

Objective: Break their Defenses

Deployment: Maelstrom

No Heroes. Limit 3 siege trays aside from embedded. All upgrades and command figures allowed.

Daqan: Oathsworn, Spearmen, Golems

Waiqar: Reanimates, R. Archers, Worms

Latari: Deepwoods, Leonx, Scions

Uthuk: Berserkers, Rippers, Threshers

Please post your results, including matchup and mov.

Matchups

Daqan vs Waiqar = Waiqar win

Daqan vs Latari = Daqan win

Latari vs Uthuk = Uthuk win

Month 1 results.

Daqan and Latari fought the most battles, but where daqan prevailed, the Latari were defeated at both battles. Much of the land on the borders of the Ru Steppes has now been claimed. This brings an uneasy tension to the land.

Season 1, part 2:

Nov -Dec

150-200 pts

Objectives: Conquest, or Bounty.

Deployment: Oblique Formation, or Long Canyon.

Restrictions:

Daqan: Infantry only

Latari: Cavalry only

Uthuk: Siege only

Waiqar: Limit 1 of each Unit type

Heroes of corresponding unit type are allowed, but limit to 1.

Edited by Jukey
New missions

what's mov?

5 hours ago, Skaflok said:

what's mov?

Margin of victory, basically points of units taken during the game. If two factions tie for wins and losses I can still figure out who did better.

It also occurs to me that it might be difficult to reach 200 pts for more modest collections. So the first mission will be 150 pts.

Edited by Jukey

I read previous post a bit too late, after the deployyment, so we played with limit 200 points. On one side 2 blocks of four trays of deepwoods with cqt and bolos, 2 blocks of four trays of cats with moi and raven tabards and 3 single Scions (198 points). Leszek placed fire terrain close to my deployment zone severly limiting Daqan start.

Daqans had only 5 units. One unit of 2 trays of oathsworn with rank discipline and tempered Steel, two four trays oathsworn moi mcw raven tabards and heavy support that proved to be crucial: 6 tray spears with dispatch corruption rune and rallying Cornicen and 2 tray spearmen with C. rune and rallying musician as well. 197 points and first player. I did my worst placing terrain (we drew 4 random cards and picked 2 starting from first player, and I did not chose Latari fire so obviously Leszek use it to weaken my initial position).

I wanted to add pictures from my phone, but they are too big and do not come through.

First rounds went very well for the Elves, with leonx obliterating most of knights, but dispatch runner and knights prowess turned tide of this (moi with rally is a great combo) early encounter. Second unit of leonx charged into flank of smaller spearmen (I do not think they even stopped), but when they charged frontally into bigger formation (3*2) in the next turn, they were stopped and finally pierced down. Second Oathsworn unit did a deep flank and finally was able to flank charge and kill 12 archers in a single blow. Finally two units of cavalry (one with a single knight) reached enemy deployment zone. Third and smallest oathsworn unit late charged scion who regenerated thanks to fertile soil, and before it retaliated killed him in the next round (but two riders died from nearby fire). 132 points for Daqan and 91 for Latari. So quite a close margin.

One unit of deepwoods was slowly repositioning towards my deployment zone and in the last two shots it only killed 2 last trays of big oathsworn, for 14 points. It probably would have done better just reaching my deployment.

We interpreted deployment rules that first player took first terrain out of four drawn randomly from my deck, and the second took one of remaining three. Player who had more (7) units put 2 first and then beginning from first player players took turns placing units.

Edited by Skaflok
morning

200 pts is fine if you can field it. I realized my latari would actually have trouble hitting 200 with the restrictions.

I hadn't considered it, but very much enjoy a battle report on the fights, as this will add to the detail in the next dragonholt post newsletter.

For pictures, imgur works well but only embeds direct links from certain operating systems (not so good for mobile uploads).

I have 4 core sets and two cores for latari, 6 heavy trays for each army. Restrictions are a great idea. If some player cannot observe restrictions but can field army within limit, his initial points should be reduced by at least 15 points (Kari in this set is just so powerful, not many tools to stop her)

Edited by Skaflok
second thought

Got some games today.

A latari scouting party runs into a pack of rippers. The rippers were victorious, but at the cost of half the pack.

Uthuk won 63-0

This was an extremely interesting match and I regret not batrepping it. Let's just say rank cats vs rippers is a highly entertaining match, add in deepwoods performing flank melee and things got real weird.

Next up the Waiqar attack a Daqan patrol. Dozens of reanimates were dashed to bits by a golem-powered spearstar, but in the end, the relentless undead proved to be too much.

Waiqar won 69-36

That is some great news that things are actually happening. I will try to have one more battle by the end of the month.

Yeah, Jukey didn’t expect a 4-tray flesh ripper to charge that particular direction out of terrain. His 2 tray Fire Rune Deepwoods ran into the side of my rippers.

Then proceeds a really stupid “oh ****” moment for me as they get dispatched and throw Red-Blue with a reroll. Turns out the little suckers can do some damage in that position

Results for part 1 of Prelude to War are up, part 2 is now live. Enjoy!

Fight more battles. The more battles fought in a month, the more effect it will have on the map! Feel free to play the same faction multiple times.

On 10/8/2019 at 5:28 AM, Jukey said:

Season 1, part 2:

Nov -Dec

150-200 pts

Objectives: Conquest, or Bounty.

Deployment: Oblique Formation, or Long Canyon.

Restrictions:

Daqan: Infantry only

Latari: Cavalry only

Uthuk: Siege only

Waiqar: Limit 1 of each Unit type

Heroes of corresponding unit type are allowed, but limit to 1.

I have a question about the above: does first player choose objective vs deployment?

I'm trying to remember proper rules for that, I think we'll say first chooses one, second chooses the other. Which gets chosen first doesn't matter.

I might use the objectives to help determine where the battles are fought, but haven't really settled on a system for that. This is all very much figure it out as we go.

Where did this map come from?

2 hours ago, IamGazrok said:

Where did this map come from?

It's in the front of the genesys terrinoth source book. Of course the territory markings were added.

Ah. Thanks. You wouldn't happen to have the Diskwars map of Mennara would you?

On 11/19/2019 at 9:30 PM, IamGazrok said:

Ah. Thanks. You wouldn't happen to have the Diskwars map of Mennara would you?

Not on hand, I'm sure I could find it online though.

I've tried, but no luck.

11 hours ago, IamGazrok said:

I've tried, but no luck.

I dont own disk wars, so sadly I dont have it either.

So this was a quiet month...I guess part 2 is a 2 parter? 😁

I'm guilty of not getting a game in. Unfortunately not having as much free time as I used to.

Edited by Jukey

Hi, from Spain 2 of us join to the campaign. Our first battle was 1-1

150pts Waikar 101 : Daqan 87

We will send results in 1-2

Tnkx

I will input these results and get more going soon. I'm just very busy right now. Sorry.

For future games, play any size with any units you want. The only restriction will be depending on the heroes involved will determine where the fights happen.

Edited by Jukey