Keyforge Rules and Terms

By Lankoran, in KeyForge

TL:DR, We have two rules questions, one regarding "A Life for a Life", and one regarding "Throwing Stars" see after the preamble for the specific questions. TIA

Myself, My Partner and our two little children have recently begun playing this game at our local gaming store, finding the mechanic of the fixed and random decks really enjoyable and interesting. its quickly become one of our favourite collective hobbies. However, one of us is ruining it for everyone else by having an absolute terrible time interpreting the "Nature" of rules based on their specific wording. (Yes. Its me :D) The "Play" rule was one specific instance where i lost my brain. how a card can be in play for its own play ability.... that was a whole new world of cerebral pain for me. Anyway, just wanted to explain a little about who's asking the questions and the nature of our interest, we're not quite ultra-competitive players, but the rules still need to be rules or we'll end up all over the place!

"A life for a life"

*Edit* Recently read on the official rulebook regarding the term "Sacrifice" to mean that you may only sacrifice a friendly controlled creature, my issue with this was more of a real world application wherein a sacrifice wasn't always friendly, drawing the issue mainly from the fact that other cards state "Sacrifice Friendly" The fact that the two text exist without a clear indication of the Sacrifice rule sort of muddies up the water a bit. I realise there are a lot of cards, and keeping them all in line is a chore, so while i've more or less resolved this one for myself, i felt i should note it just incase some boffin somewhere feels the need to bring all the Sacrifice rules texts into line for specifc nerds like me.

"Throwing Stars"

" Deal 1D to up to 3 creatures. Gain 1A for each creature destroyed this way. " Myself and My Partner disagree on this card, as to wether or not you're able to deal all 3 potential damage to the same creature, the card states "Up to" but not in anyway that it HAS to be different creatures, or that it can't infact be dealt to the same creature. Granted i know dealing 3 damage to 1 creature would only result in 1 Aember generated, we've also strugged to find a clarification on this one, or anyone else discussing it anywhere. we've seen a few variants on damage cards explaining that the damage can be spread however the active player likes, and a few stating it has to be just one target, but in this case, the stars are just a touch ambiguous.

Anyway, sorry in advance if these questions are over-asked, and for the longwinded question, again to clarify we're all four of us really enjoying the game, and are currently eagerly awaiting the new houses to make an appearence in our deck lineups!

It deals 1 dmg. Who does it deal 1 damage to? 0, 1, 2 or 3 creatures.

Thats odd you apply real word to a card game. People don’t kill themselves when a stranger or an enemy tells them too. That person is being murdered if they aren’t willingly choosing to die for someone else. Hence why you can’t sacrifice other creatures in games because they don’t want to sacrifice themselves for an enemy.

While we're on the subject of terms...

kf05_saurus-rex.png

I checked the latest rulebook and there isn't an entry for "center."

I mostly ask because I'm curious if a battle line with an even number of creatures has a center. Sure if you have 5 creatures:

1 2 3 4 5

Saurus Rex clearly needs to be in position 3 and no other. But if you play a new creature...

1 2 3 4 5 6

Does a center now exist or not? Does Saurus work in position 3 or 4? Or is he now impossible to use until more are added or people die?

(I'm also assuming a single creature is considered to be the center of your battleline but I'm sure at some point that philosophy of "mean" will be debated.)

Simplegarak, I know Target had its big fiasco, but the set isn't actually out yet, so any terms used for the first time in Worlds Collide wouldn't have been defined yet in the rulebook.

A creature can't be in the center if you have an even number of creatures in your battle line.

Sure if you have 5 creatures:

1 2 3 4 5

Saurus Rex clearly needs to be in position 3 and no other.

Yep, you got it.

But if you play a new creature...

1 2 3 4 5 6

Does a center now exist or not?

No, there is no longer a center.

Or is he now impossible to use until more are added or people die?

You can still use the card (i.e. to fight and reap) you just don't get to use the exalt ability.

BTW, I know Keyforge is being printed in many different languages. Can we have a British English version. It's the centre dammit!!! 😀

Edited by AnarchyBoi
2 hours ago, AnarchyBoi said:

A creature can't be in the center if you have an even number of creatures in your battle line.

According to... you?

For all we know center could mean non-flank or something. Left flank, right flank, and everybody else is in the center.

It's probably the way you describe it, but we won't know until FFG releases the full rulebook for download.

Unless they sent the rules to you first for approval?

Unless they sent the rules to you first for approval?

Of course they didn't. Thanks for the sarcasm.

To further clarify Gub gets +5 power "when not on a flank".

Not +5 power "when in the centre".

Evidence points to "when not on a flank" & "when in the centre" having different meanings.

55 minutes ago, AnarchyBoi said:

Of course they didn't. Thanks for the sarcasm.

To further clarify Gub gets +5 power "when not on a flank".

Not +5 power "when in the centre".

Evidence points to "when not on a flank" & "when in the centre" having different meanings.

You're welcome for the sarcasm!

The problem is that evidence also points to FFG using inconsistent and often counterintuitive wordings. Terms are created and updated between sets of games all the time.

I think you're probably correct in how "center" works, but it bugs me when people give answers to things we can't quite be sure of, and don't qualify that it's their opinion. You're stating it as a fact, but unless there's an FFG playthrough video where this is covered, I think we need to be a little cautious in telling people how unreleased rules truly function.

The fact that this question has come up a number of times means there are at least two interpretations.

2 hours ago, SupaGerm said:

You're welcome for the sarcasm!

The problem is that evidence also points to FFG using inconsistent and often counterintuitive wordings. Terms are created and updated between sets of games all the time.

I think you're probably correct in how "center" works, but it bugs me when people give answers to things we can't quite be sure of, and don't qualify that it's their opinion. You're stating it as a fact, but unless there's an FFG playthrough video where this is covered, I think we need to be a little cautious in telling people how unreleased rules truly function.

The fact that this question has come up a number of times means there are at least two interpretations.

We should start a rulings betting thread where we can wager aember on how things will go. 😁