Feels bad not being able to attack twice

By Val_Varis, in Arkham Horror

I LOVE the game! But when you are engaged with more than 1 enemy at once, not being able to attack more than once feels bad~

Especially if your character can't evade well and in a 2-P game~ XD

Anyone experienced something similar?

I imagine everyone. Unfortunately, this is something the game handles very poorly (mechanically speaking), and if you lose control of the board in terms of monster presence, you risk seriously being outnumbered and losing the game, which is something that 2nd edition did better (there were mechanisms to control the number of monsters on the board and multiple combat actions were allowed)

What can be done to work with this?

Pay to attack a different monster using the same rules as the movements?

What about a two way limit? if there a limit on the number attack one character can make then what about a limit on the number of monster that can engage a player.

Edited by Wiouds

That is just the way the game was designed. As far as I see it, if let the monsters get out of hand early on then the game is pretty much lost.

You need some way to eliminate monsters before that happens.

2 hours ago, Wiouds said:

What can be done to work with this?

Pay to attack a different monster using the same rules as the movements?

What about a two way limit? if there a limit on the number attack one character can make then what about a limit on the number of monster that can engage a player.

I was actually thinking along the line of "you may attack twice but not targeting the same enemy with both attacks" xD

1 hour ago, zeezeeman said:

That is just the way the game was designed. As far as I see it, if let the monsters get out of hand early on then the game is pretty much lost.

You need some way to eliminate monsters before that happens.

That's true, but sometimes it feels way easier with 3 or more players because regardless, monsters only spawn twice per round.

So 4 players dealing with 2 enemies feels easier to handle than 2 with 2 😂

7 hours ago, Julia said:

I imagine everyone. Unfortunately, this is something the game handles very poorly (mechanically speaking), and if you lose control of the board in terms of monster presence, you risk seriously being outnumbered and losing the game, which is something that 2nd edition did better (there were mechanisms to control the number of monsters on the board and multiple combat actions were allowed)

True. And in Eldritch, you are required to fight every enemy in your space, allowing you to kill everything in your space if you are fighty enough~ :D

Edited by Val_Varis

Houserule: test Will with the Horror damage of the monster as modifier. If you pass the check, you manage to find the courage of going one more round against another beast. In this way you control better the board, and Will starts having a purpose

11 hours ago, Val_Varis said:

I was actually thinking along the line of "you may attack twice but not targeting the same enemy with both attacks" xD

That's true, but sometimes it feels way easier with 3 or more players because regardless, monsters only spawn twice per round.

So 4 players dealing with 2 enemies feels easier to handle than 2 with 2 😂

True. And in Eldritch, you are required to fight every enemy in your space, allowing you to kill everything in your space if you are fighty enough~ :D

I think the problem with being overwhelmed by monsters comes from a pacing problem with the game. I thinking too much can happen in one turn with the mytho cup. I wonder if we can do something other than draw two mythos tokens for each player.

12 hours ago, Julia said:

Houserule: test Will with the Horror damage of the monster as modifier. If you pass the check, you manage to find the courage of going one more round against another beast. In this way you control better the board, and Will starts having a purpose

I will try that out and get back with you.

One of the poorer design decisions. If you can't evade, your stuck fighting or focusing. Don't kill the monster in an attack? You're stuck taking automatic damage and repeating the process until the monster is dead or you are dead. It isn't fun.

One thing that I tested at the table and seemed to work:

- During the Encounter Phase, an Investigator may Attack a Monster they are Engaged with. (Normally, an Engaged Investigator has no Encounter, and does nothing during the Encounter Phase).

Effectively, this lessened the punishment of becoming Engaged with a Monster during the Monster phase, while also removing the punishment which comes from taking the Attack action and failing to kill the Monster in a single hit. This did allow a player to effectively Attack a Monster twice a turn, but considering the trade off (no Encounter, and you have to take the damage from the Monster's attack), this seemed to balance it.

How about this: you may attack a second time but only a different monster, and using Will instead of Strenght.

This way it would feel thematic and also risky (so not overpowered). I can see many players opting to evade anyway depending on their investigator Will.

Thoughts?

Edited by Vinicius Lessa

anyone tried just houseruling this and make it possible to attack two times?

Not need any house rules so far, but I like Juliaa suggestion best if you want to house rule.

We play mostly with 4 to 5 players and difficulty level seems to be very good!

I don’t follow that rule, I do repeat actions and the game improves a lot, it is just less frustrating but still very hard to beat ( I play solo with 2 investigators)

On 10/18/2020 at 11:41 PM, Santanilla said:

I don’t follow that rule, I do repeat actions and the game improves a lot, it is just less frustrating but still very hard to beat ( I play solo with 2 investigators)

I think I may like a combination of this with Julia's rule. Add an action to the action list:

Resolve - test will to repeat your first action instead of taking a second one. If you fail, you may still take a 2nd action per the normal rules.

Edited by Einlanzer80

Very interesting toughts!

I really like this game! but its true that the only 2 actions and cant repeat makes the game a bit frustrating.

My houserule for solo its one investigator + 1 random ally for start. And if i die: game over.

Very difficult.

Maybe i can add some of the houserules i read here.

I settled on having a new action called Resolve that lets investigators test will to repeat their first action in place of their normal second action. It adds flexibility to the two action economy and makes Will more useful (and consequently buffs high will investigators), but it's inherently risky in that if you fail you can lose your second action, so it's important to be prudent when doing it.

My idea: If an investigator is engaged with more than one monster, make an attack using the worst combat modifier of the monsters engaged with. The number of successes can be divided between the monsters as the player sees fit.

4 hours ago, jeremyj621 said:

My idea: If an investigator is engaged with more than one monster, make an attack using the worst combat modifier of the monsters engaged with. The number of successes can be divided between the monsters as the player sees fit.

This is probably the most pragmatic approach.