What to buy?

By Boris_the_Dwarf, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

So I’m coming in at what looks like the tail end of this game’s life - which is ok, I’m still enjoying it - and not sure what to buy next. I bought the items for the app, which means Labryinth and Lair and Shadows, and then a few packs that boosted my hero base. Anything that is just a must have for this game? Thanks in advance.

I think you have the must-buys. Anything else you get is a bonus, really.

Trollfens has unique monsters, fun (but weak) hero classes, and my favorite scout, Roganna. It has a wide selection of items for a small box as well.

If you do not plan to play with an overlord, Mists Of Bilehall and Chains That Rust offer comparatively little for you. Those expansions do have some of the most interesting items and some awesome monsters.

Side note: The tiles in those expansions are BEAUTIFUL. They really nail the drab dead feeling, and Chains’ B tiles are great castle pieces.

I’m curious if you own Bonds of The Wild, a hero and monster collection. That one has great monsters, fun heroes (Challara is the poster child for this one, but Ronan is awesome in the app). Not to mention the side quest in the app is really unique.

1 hour ago, Lightningclaw said:

I think you have the must-buys. Anything else you get is a bonus, really.

Trollfens has unique monsters, fun (but weak) hero classes, and my favorite scout, Roganna. It has a wide selection of items for a small box as well.

If you do not plan to play with an overlord, Mists Of Bilehall and Chains That Rust offer comparatively little for you. Those expansions do have some of the most interesting items and some awesome monsters.

Side note: The tiles in those expansions are BEAUTIFUL. They really nail the drab dead feeling, and Chains’ B tiles are great castle pieces.

I’m curious if you own Bonds of The Wild, a hero and monster collection. That one has great monsters, fun heroes (Challara is the poster child for this one, but Ronan is awesome in the app). Not to mention the side quest in the app is really unique.

Thanks. Didn’t get Bonds, but I’ll keep an eye out for it.

I started with the app because it’s easy to play by myself or with my kids at the kitchen table, but might try Overlord with my gaming group if they are interested. It’s not something my kids will do since they just want to use the tablet to play with their old man lol.

How good is Guardians of Deephall? It’s one I’m looking at but haven’t bought yet.

It’s not bad. There’s nothing really wrong with the pack, but it’s one of the lesser hero and monster collections in my opinion. Someone else might think differently and chime in, though.

The monsters are interesting. Wendigos have a neat “Stealthy” ability. Dark Priests have neat abilities but are on the weak side. Crypt Dragons are somewhat fragile but have ranged attacks and blast.

Hawthorne and Mordrog are nice heroes. Sahla is interesting but his feat (copy another hero’s skill for one turn) can be hard to use and doesn’t work with many class skills.

Silhouette is good in a campaign against an overlord, where it will pull in lots of gold. Her ability is uninspiring and her feat is not great in the app, though.

I don't see the point of not buying anything. I did. I never regreted.

36 minutes ago, rugal said:

I’m not a completionist. I don’t buy things for games that just sit on the shelf unused. At least I try not to.

2 hours ago, Boris_the_Dwarf said:

I’m not a completionist. I don’t buy things for games that just sit on the shelf unused. At least I try not to.

That's why I buy few games but the whole expansion if I like the game AND if I have players, otherwise, I sell it, no use to keep a "partial game"

One thing I should add is if you have Guardians of Deephall or Shards of Everdark, they each add a dragon monster group to your lineup.

When you do a quest involving a 2x3 dragon, the game will pick from one of your available dragons instead of using Shadow Dragons every time.

On 9/29/2019 at 9:33 AM, rugal said:

Well, after almost a month I did go all in.... except for Stewards. Can’t find it anywhere.