VaultWarrior Tournament Series Questions

By FFGEvan, in KeyForge

We just announced the VaultWarrior tournament series for KeyForge, and we're taking your questions in this forum thread. We'll be taking questions in this thread through the end of September 30, and we'll answer as many as we can in a special episode of the Crucible Cast coming later that week.

For more information about the VaultWarrior tournament series, you can read the article here:

Tell us what you want to know! We can't wait to launch into the Crucible with you!

Hi!

Thanks for taking questions. This looks like a very exciting series of tournaments. My question is this:

Since the VaultWarrior series (and the Championship) is intended to be the peak of competitive play, it makes sense to use one of the most competitive formats: Fast Adaptive.

In Fast Adaptive, each player reads through the opponent's deck list for two minutes, and then secretly chooses whether they prefer their own deck or their opponent's deck. If the players choose different decks, then they each play the deck they chose and the game becomes either Archon or Reversal. If they choose the same deck, they then begin bidding chains to play the deck, as in Adaptive. Fast Adaptive stresses play skill and matchup evaluation skill above all else, and can accommodate Bo3 matches, without going over time the way Adaptive would if the number of games tripled. This format has been tried and tested across Keyforge communities despite the lack of official support, and it's been shown to be highly skill-testing and a whole lot of fun on top of that.

Has the FFG team considered supporting this highly competitive format? In either case, what do you think about adding it to the Vault Warrior tournament series?

Hello there! I would like to ask if, since the game has garnered a worldwide audience, there is some consideration being put into the geographical distribution of VaultWarrior Qualifiers .

I ask this because in the announcement video there was only European and North American spots shown during this bit (and one Australian spot). South American and Asian players won't have their own VaultWarrior Qualifier? Could this situation change in face of more data about these markets?

Does FFG have OP plans which speak to the largest audience for KeyForge, the casual audience? This would also apply to international players.

A lot of people live in small towns with no local KeyForge community, but are able to play unofficially online, or if they're lucky, with 1 or 2 friends. Even if somebody lives in a town with a store which actually participates in Organized Play, "tournament" is still a very intimidating word which turns off the casual crowd who enjoys the game otherwise. I thought KeyForge was going to pave new paths as a casual game, but so far it is focusing too hard on the competitive aspect and already is pushing people away.

45 minutes ago, peterfaith said:

Hi!

Thanks for taking questions. This looks like a very exciting series of tournaments. My question is this:

Since the VaultWarrior series (and the Championship) is intended to be the peak of competitive play, it makes sense to use one of the most competitive formats: Fast Adaptive.

In Fast Adaptive, each player reads through the opponent's deck list for two minutes, and then secretly chooses whether they prefer their own deck or their opponent's deck. If the players choose different decks, then they each play the deck they chose and the game becomes either Archon or Reversal. If they choose the same deck, they then begin bidding chains to play the deck, as in Adaptive. Fast Adaptive stresses play skill and matchup evaluation skill above all else, and can accommodate Bo3 matches, without going over time the way Adaptive would if the number of games tripled. This format has been tried and tested across Keyforge communities despite the lack of official support, and it's been shown to be highly skill-testing and a whole lot of fun on top of that.

Has the FFG team considered supporting this highly competitive format? In either case, what do you think about adding it to the Vault Warrior tournament series?

Fast adaptive is really good.

Any idea what price the Vault Warrior Qualifiers will be if you don't have a local invite?

What are the risks and threats to the game in going this direction and how does FFG believe the positives cancel these negatives to make the endeavor worthwhile?

((Genuine question from someone who initially dislikes this announcement but attempting to see it from all sides before making final judgment))

Oh, hey... set rotation. That was quick.

8 hours ago, TheSpitfired said:

((Genuine question from someone who initially dislikes this announcement but attempting to see it from all sides before making final judgment))

One thing about this that I think is a plus is they're promoting adaptive format, so hopefully this isn't going to turn into yet another biggest-pockets-wins setup. And I hope they go somewhere with Reversal, as well, though that's looking like a minor side effort at best for this.

Whilst I think this is an overall positive announcement and a step forward for FFG I’d like to echo some of the same concerns expressed above about how this impacts casual or less competitive players.

I was excited to see Australia finally included in a vault event and I’m not sure what your event schedule is in 2020 but I can’t help but think we need a vault tour first before we start in on the ultra competitive cash prize events. Vault tours are incredibly well designed to cater to both audiences and I’m not certain you have the established base of both in this territory yet.

I’d also like to echo the sentiment that official online play, produced by your great FFG interactive team, will be a fantastic solution to bringing those isolated members of the international community together to be able to enjoy this game as a whole

When are the dates of the qualifiers and the locations of each. I would like to plan in advance of which one(s) I will attend.

What is the maximum number of attendees at each qualifier?

Am I able to attend more than one qualifier?

Hi,

How will the free seats from try outs work? Do I get a free seat to any Vault Warrior Qualifier ?

Can I win multiple try outs and therefore multiple free seats?

Will ambershards be awarded at all for Vault Warrior try outs or Qualifiers?

Stevey Stew

How was the decision to make the championships Adaptive?

I feel like it is a bit confusing that the highest level of competitive play is a format which completely removes the skill involved with the deck selection and metagame analysis that is associated with formats where you bring your own deck. Adaptive is wonderful for sealed, but really makes no sense for Archon beyond the casual level. I would assume you all would want the 100k payout event to be the pinnacle of skill testing, something more like Triad or just straight Bo3 Archon.

On 9/27/2019 at 7:25 PM, Xelto said:

One thing about this that I think is a plus is they're promoting adaptive format, so hopefully this isn't going to turn into yet another biggest-pockets-wins setup. And I hope they go somewhere with Reversal, as well, though that's looking like a minor side effort at best for this.

Another? What was the first?

I'm being snarky. It's not.

Of course we need Dates, locations, entries, formats etc... Which I'm sure will come with time or the next update.

Is winning a qualifier necessary for entry into the big 100k event? It that open to public as well with entry fee?

It looks Vault Tours will run along side Vault Warrior event as well. Is this going to be a large "Grand Prix" style event?

3 hours ago, Dave Cordeiro [REAPOUT] said:

How was the decision to make the championships Adaptive?

I feel like it is a bit confusing that the highest level of competitive play is a format which completely removes the skill involved with the deck selection and metagame analysis that is associated with formats where you bring your own deck.

It replaces that skill with one that's similar but more challenging: analyzing a deck you haven't seen before in under two minutes, and determining how strong it is relative to one you know. You don't get the luxury of months searching for the perfect deck. You don't get any advantages for having deep pockets. If there's a broken card out there that hasn't been errataed, you don't have to expect to see it in every single deck that makes it to the end of the tournament. No, you get none of that. Instead, you have two minutes to determine how many chains that deck you're looking at is worth. You think that doesn't take skill? It's merely a different skill than M:tG and similar tournaments need.

In the amusement park there are experts telling you how to play the game, the safest strategies, what net decks to use. In the jungle you have the tools you have.

Welcome to the jungle!

Edited by Xelto
14 hours ago, Xelto said:

It replaces that skill with one that's similar but more challenging: analyzing a deck you haven't seen before in under two minutes, and determining how strong it is relative to one you know. You don't get the luxury of months searching for the perfect deck. You don't get any advantages for having deep pockets. If there's a broken card out there that hasn't been errataed, you don't have to expect to see it in every single deck that makes it to the end of the tournament. No, you get none of that. Instead, you have two minutes to determine how many chains that deck you're looking at is worth. You think that doesn't take skill? It's merely a different skill than M:tG and similar tournaments need.

It replaces an entire branch of skills that applies to card games (metagame analysis, deck evaluation/selection) and replaces it with 1 single event, which is bidding chains. Having played both variations a lot I can assure you bidding chains is not nearly as skill testing and rewarding as choosing the right deck for an event. Sealed is great for adaptive, and should be adaptive 100% of the time, but in sealed adaptive you aren't losing the deck selection process when you switch it to adaptive.