Narya / Gandalf

By caribecards, in Rules questions & answers

Hi guys,

If I use Narya's action could I ready Gandalf plus 1 more ally?

Regards

If you use ally gandalf yes, unless you put something on him that remove his ally status ( like sword thain ).

If you use gandalf hero no, because Narya's effect only targets ally.

Edit : you can't put sword-thain on gandalf, my bad

Edited by Miceldars

Yup, it's a legal move, though pretty expensive to pull off. But you can ready Over Hill and Under Hill Gandalf this way so that he can quest for 4, exhaust for Narya, then ready himself and boost attack and defence. Bonus points if you are also equipping him with Shadowfax so that the ally can attack and defend across the board and has a readying effect to do both!

You will be needing to raise your threat each round by 2 extra points though, on top of the pretty high cost of getting all cards out in time.

Why can't you sword-thain Gandalf? Just play Narya first.

Or am I missing something?

Edited by DarkPhoenix
26 minutes ago, DarkPhoenix said:

Without Narya it's definitely not possible, and even with the ring you might wonder if the Leadership resource icon granted by it is enough to consider Gandalf as "belonging to any sphere of influence".

In any case even if it was possible it might not be worth it since then OHUH Gandalf cannot target itself with the ring and since it has very good stats there might not be better choices than itself.

Apart from any considerations of whether it is worth it… The general consensus has indeed been that it is legal to play first Narya, then Sword-thain, on (either!) ally Gandalf.

I would not play Narya and Sword-thain on Core Gandalf, as he is discarded at the end of the round, unless you find a way to blank his textbox.

Thank you guys,

The question was thinking using Gandalf (Over Hill and Under Hill) , and the idea is to use Narya to ready him, it's just what I need.

However using sword-thain is a good idea too.

Edited by caribecards
14 hours ago, Amicus Draconis said:

I would not play Narya and Sword-thain on Core Gandalf, as he is discarded at the end of the round, unless you find a way to blank his textbox.

Besides the dubious strategic choice I think Sappidus was simply making a point about how it would still technically be possible to do it if someone really wanted. Though I guess in the late part of a Stone of Erech game one might pull it off...

22 hours ago, DarkPhoenix said:

Or am I missing something?

Oh yeah, Narya give him a leadership icon, I forgot

Also to complete the combo of Shadowfax and Narya, throw his staff and a Wild Stallion on him so he can quest for 5, then still attack/defend for 6 twice and toss a shadow card. He becomes essentially the best hero in the game or at least the strongest ally by far. Having a ton of fun with him paired with my Glorfindel/Legolas/Eleanor support deck.