Old decks to bring back

By Fromper, in Star Wars: Destiny

I notice that everyone always wants to play the latest and greatest characters in this game. I've done fairly well bringing back older decks, as I notice new cards in the newer sets that work with them. I usually play standard format tournaments, so that's mostly what I'm focused on.

For instance, around the time that the Grievous starter came out, people started playing that version of Grievous. But I noticed that many of the new cards like Bacta Therapy, Grievance Striker, and the Punch Dagger work well with the old Grievous from Way of the Force, so I paired him with the Sentinel Messenger and a newer plot and got a great deck out of it.

I also recently decided to bring back Piett with two Mandalorian SuperCommandos ("Papercuts"). Cards like the Bounty Hunter Mask, Riot Shield, Measure for Measure, and Desperate Measures seem to make this just as good, if not better, than the older version.

And don't get me started on Vader. He's been solid since AtG released, yet many people have stopped playing him, for no obvious reason.

Does anyone have any other older characters that you still play, or have brought back for new decks using more recent cards?

I had great success with eLando/Anakin/L3 supports. Consistently beat the pre-errata Snoke support decks with it. Had to retire it because of the one turn kill of Anakin or L3 before I could resolve the combo (Anakin turns L3 to 2 Focus, use that for 4 resource sides of Lando). And, Order 66 totally wrecked it, but no one around is playing that anymore. Not sure if I can bring it back out or if Droids are still too good, but it was a money machine that put even old Snoke/Watto to shame.

I'm surprised you had enough good yellow cards to do that deck with just yellow. I used to play Anakin and L3 with Hera Syndulla, before rotation. I really liked having both yellow and red vehicles. I keep wanting to find a new red character to use with L3 and Anakin to bring that back, but I think Desperate Measures and other anti-support cards (ewoks + Convergence) make L3 much riskier than she used to be, so I doubt if I'll ever bring that one back.

Speaking of Order 66, nobody around here has ever played that one, just due to the difficulty of getting 4-6 copies of the uncommon. By the time people got enough copies of it, the meta was established without it. I have 4 copies, so I'm ready to try it, probably pairing it with another old character that I haven't seen anyone use in a while: DJ. I just have to decide what blue character will help bring in enough money to make it work. Maybe Sentinel Messenger and a red trooper for rainbow, so I can get all the best removal from every color (Forsaken, A Sinister Peace, The Best Defense, etc). Ewoks will be a bad matchup for it, but it should do fine against everything else.

I liked mono-yellow. With the deck’s resources I ran all the mitigation and had blowout turns with a timed In the Crosshairs, Easy Picking or Entangle. The Falcon, N-1s and StarVipers provided the hits along with Entourage of course.

But, Desperate Measures is a major counter, especially with so many resources in the Falcon reset machine.

My favorite is the old eTarkin/e7th with Nexus of Power