Necklace of Girion / Treachery Cards

By caribecards, in Rules questions & answers

Hi guys,

if the encounter card is a treachery, I know that I need to discard cards until a valid enemy or location comes up but do the treachery cards resolve?

I found an old thread but I still have the doubt about the treachery cards.

Regards

If you discard it, you don't have to resolve any effect of the card.

8 hours ago, caribecards said:

Hi guys,

if the encounter card is a treachery, I know that I need to discard cards until a valid enemy or location comes up but do the treachery cards resolve?

I found an old thread but I still have the doubt about the treachery cards.

Regards

Since the cards are discarded and not revealed they don't have effect, no matter their type. That's also one of the nice uses of the Guarded cards, if you now in the remaining encounter deck there are quite a lot of treacheries that's one way to get rid of them.

9 hours ago, Alonewolf87 said:

Since the cards are discarded and not revealed they don't have effect, no matter their type. That's also one of the nice uses of the Guarded cards, if you now in the remaining encounter deck there are quite a lot of treacheries that's one way to get rid of them.

Thank you guys,

I have another doubt, I would think that the cards are revealed before they are discarded, following this idea shouldn't the treachery cards be resolved before discarded?

Regards

"Revealed" has a very specific meaning in this game, separate from the standard use of the word. That is, you might think that any action that involves picking up the top card of the encounter deck and turning it over and showing it to everyone is "revealing" it, because that's what the word means in ordinary usage. But for the purposes of the rules, this is not so (in game terms, the card has been "looked at" but not "revealed"), and so a card is only "revealed" if you're specifically told it has been. Discarding a card and looking at what's on it isn't "revealing" the card for the purposes of game rules.

1 hour ago, caribecards said:

I have another doubt, I would think that the cards are revealed before they are discarded, following this idea shouldn't the treachery cards be resolved before discarded?

As @Alonewolf87 stated, they are not revealed . See the rules on Guarded (X), e.g., here: http://www.lotr-lcg-quest-companion.gamersdungeon.net/#the-wilds-of-rhovanion-deluxe-expansion-quest-lost-in-mirkwood

When a card with Guarded (X) enters play, discard cards from the encounter deck until an encounter card with the matching type is discarded . Then, add that card to the staging area and attach the Guarded (X) card to it as a guarded objective.

Note that the word "reveal" is nowhere above. So don't overthink it—instead, accept the gift of not having to reveal, heh.

29 minutes ago, sappidus said:

As @Alonewolf87 stated, they are not revealed . See the rules on Guarded (X), e.g., here: http://www.lotr-lcg-quest-companion.gamersdungeon.net/#the-wilds-of-rhovanion-deluxe-expansion-quest-lost-in-mirkwood

Note that the word "reveal" is nowhere above. So don't overthink it—instead, accept the gift of not having to reveal, heh.

Thank you guys and I accept the gift of not having to reveal, lol

Just to add to this, if a card is “added to the staging area” it is not revealed (sometimes they will instead say “reveal and add to the staging area”). If it is just added but not revealed, you also avoid the “when revealed” effects.

This can be important as some quests have you search the deck for an enemy and add it, so it can be good to choose one with a nasty “when revealed” effect.

8 hours ago, Schrodinger's Hat said:

Just to add to this, if a card is “added to the staging area” it is not revealed (sometimes they will instead say “reveal and add to the staging area”). If it is just added but not revealed, you also avoid the “when revealed” effects.

This can be important as some quests have you search the deck for an enemy and add it, so it can be good to choose one with a nasty “when revealed” effect.

You are right, I sometimes forget that rule and when a location indicates that an enemy needs to be added I resolve the when revealed effect.