Drokkatta's Repeater Cannon + Under Barrel blast surges / Mod. surges

By Winesmoke, in Imperial Assault Rules Questions

Hey guys! I'm having hard time with surges!

I know that abilities can be applied just once for surge but looking at force pike i just wondered about that +1/+1 surges, so i thought about what this means and how this can be applied in other situations.

Since i didn't properly understand how this works, i'm just brainstorming about different situations which i can't give them an exact answer.

1)Force Pike let me apply +1/+1 if a roll a single surge or let me have +1 and +1 if i roll TWO surges ?

2)If i roll a dice with 1 surge, can i apply Blast 1 from repeater cannon and blast 1 from the mod, obtaining blast to hit two times (So, like blasting 2?) OR i can blast 2 if i have two different surges?

3) If i roll a dice with 1 surge and if i have different blast options from either the weapon and the mod, what and in which way can i apply surges? It's a general rule that surges from mods can be applied regardless the weapon, as it is another source?

For example:

Weapon A:
Surge: +1
Surge: Focused

Mod A:
Surge: +1 damage

If i roll a dice with two surges, can i:
Case 1. Apply +1 and +1 damage?
Case 2. Apply Focused and +1 damage?

And what if i just roll a single surge? That surge is getting just one +1 from either the weapon or the mod?

Under-Barrel HH-4_595_ffflogog_whatermark_cc.jpg

Repeater Cannon_595_ffflogog_whatermark_cc.jpg

Edited by Winesmoke
On 9/21/2019 at 7:24 AM, Winesmoke said:

Hey guys! I'm having hard time with surges!

There are basically three things to remember:

- Each surge you roll can only be spent on one thing (no matter which card/mod it comes from)

- If you roll multiple surges, you can't spend them both on the same printed surge ability

- If you have more than one printed surge ability that does the same thing, and you've rolled multiple surges, you are allowed to spend those surges to use both of those (identical) abilities.

So to answer your questions:

1) If you roll one surge, you can spend it on a single +1 damage or on stun. If you roll two surges, you can spend them on +1 damage and +1 damage, or on +1 damage and stun.

2) If you roll just 1 surge, you can spend it on Blast 1 from the repeater cannon or on Blast one from the Under-Barrel, but not both. If you rolled two surges, you could spend them for Blast 1 twice (and yes, you could use both on the same adjacent figure for Blast 2) or do something else like spend them both for the double-surge ability on the repeater cannon.

3) Both of your options are correct: if you roll 2 surges you can spend both on +1 or you can spend one on +1 and one on focus. If you rolled just one surge, you would have to choose between a single +1 or the focus.

And just one final note, hopefully to make things fully clear, if you had Weapon A but not Mod A and you rolled two surges, you would have to spend 1 surge on +1 and one surge on focus (i.e. you couldn't spend two surges on +1 since it's only printed on the card once)

Hope this helps!

To summarize:

You can use any and each ability once per opportunity. This applies to surge abilities (once per attack) and also to other abilities (they have timing/trigger condition).

The two surge abilities on Force Pike both add one damage to the attack results, but while the effect is the same, they are separate abilities.

Spending a surge is a cost (See RRG - Abilities) to resolve the ability, and you can spend each surge only once. If you have two surges to spend, you can use both +1dmg abilities of the Force Pike .

Also note that there are abilities which add surges to attack results, and Drokkatta can use Dispersal Shot to add a surge and negative damage to the attack results, then spend the surge.

For the "whole shebang" of attack steps and attack ability timing, see https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1631857/ability-resolution-order-during-attacks .

Edited by a1bert