S.T.A.L.K.E.R

By apollo_online, in Your Settings

Hey all,

This is my first attempt at a setting, so it's probably a little rough around the edges. Nonetheless I've spent a lot of time trying to be as faithful to the original games as possible, copying over the weapons, enemies, etc. Not particularly creative or original, but for whatever reason I was compelled to adapt the games after playing them. I was planning on putting all the item and enemy blocks together with some lore into a little sourcebook, but it's honestly too much trouble considering how niche the setting is. If there's enough interest or my motivation returns, I might consider continuing work on it. If you happen to be interested in more or less taking over the project, feel free to let me know.

Like I said, some of numbers may be off and items half-baked, so please feel free to suggest revisions or tweak stats at your leisure.

For those unfamiliar with the setting: inspired by "Roadside Picnic" and the film of the same name, the Stalker series takes place in the area surrounding Chernobyl, were a second disaster after the 1986 meltdown led to the establishment of a physics-defying, mutant infested area known as "the Zone". "Stalkers" adventure throughout the Zone, in hopes of securing valuable "artifacts" to build a fortune. Various factions compete for power in the barren wasteland.

Enemies and NPCs: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SyW-Iue8qnAsnm8I7uU__bExHsSlx7p2ga4kJojbRYQ/edit?usp=sharing

Weapons: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1edmTa1_EashMvYhEMKFMYGPVZsSZZZjThaaE4Jc3vzk/edit?usp=sharing

Gear: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KjuRYhwe0SgjXafDeHONLqx-zfbDGsWlOzeE-lenTAQ/edit?usp=sharing

Some of the weapon attributes and stats may seem slightly arbitrary (considering many of the firearms can be condensed into a single "class"), however my goal was to be as faithful as possible to the original games, not focus on realism.

Additionally, some of the items were supposed to incorporate custom rules, which I naturally never got around to developing. Feel free to scrap them or use them as inspiration.

Edited by apollo_online

I'm interested in this as I'm developing a setting that certainly draws a little inspiration from STALKER.

My thoughts:

- Don't replicate another game. The people that made the other game, did certain things because of the game they were making, not the game you're making. It's perfectly fine to pull from that source material, but don't lash your diet sausage to it. If anything, look at what the previous game couldn't do that you can, and do it.

- Your NPCs could use some development and application.

The stats alone are ok, but I sense a lack of intent. Don't just chuck out numbers, think of the role and function they will play in an encounter.

Best example of your problem is the "Loner" set. You've got 2 minion options for an archetype that by definition shouldn't be encountered in groups, and even if they were, wouldn't really work together very well. Instead take the idea of a loner and develop what they would do in combat. A loner in the Zone would have to be a cunning opponent that choses his battles, using things like traps, ambushes, hit and run tactics and such. They can't win in a stand up fight, and they know it.

So, take that concept and look at if from a game design standpoint. A challenging Solo would need to be someone that can go first, hit hard, and then if he doesn't win quick, withdraw. So instead of Minons, make them Rival level to Nemesis. Weapons will focus on longer range options, with flexibility, something they can hit you with first and from afar, with a close-in weapon possibly for back up. An old Mosin-Nagant and a handgun would be the perfect starting point. From there, add in some cunning. A hunting blind is a powerful thing in this system, and anyone with a little fieldcraft can use it. Then add a cunning weapon or two. The Russians make some nasty anti-personnel mines. A good loner would know how to use them to his advantage

- Weapons see a bit overthought.

Dial them back a bit. Your average assault rifle will tend to be Medium range at most, not Long. Long is what designated marksmen weapons are for. Not everything needs auto-fire or accurate or something. Juggle numbers, costs and rarity, and worry less about special qualities.

- Gear ups and downs.

Don't forget that gear can work both ways. A flashlight can absolutely remove 1 setback for darkness for you.. but what about to not you? At night I can see a flashlight for miles.

Anyway, good start and I'll be nicking some of this for my next campaign...