Hulk Homebrew?

By jonboyjon1990, in Marvel Champions: The Card Game

Just musing about what Hulk might look like as a playable character.

I'm thinking key features would be:

• No or very limited control over changing form
  • 0 Thwart?
  • Attacks that can destroy more than just enemies – like can destroy attachments too
  • Collateral damage to friendlies
  • 20+ HP
  • Overkill
  • Thwart on Banner’s side?
  • Some sort of timer on when he flips back and forth
  • Always have to attack
  • Could be the above on both sides or just Banner’s side
  • Want to make sure he can still be playable in solo, despite lack of thwart

His stats:

The Incredible Hulk

THW -

ATK 4

DEF 2

Hand Size 3 / Hit Points 20

Bruce Banner

REC 4

Hand Size 6 / Hit Points 20

How does he change form?

• It could be based on a number of minions being drawn/in play?
  • Or based on a number of threat in play?
  • You could do a card flip reminiscent of the ally version

For example:

Banner:

You cannot change to Hulk.

Forced – at the end of your turn reveal the top card of your deck. If that card’s printed resource has:

• Might – Change into Hulk
  • Energy - ???
  • Mental - ???
  • Misc – Remove one threat

Hulk:

You cannot change to Banner

Forced – at the end of your turn reveal the top card of your deck. If that card’s printed resource has:

• Might – Deal 2 damage to an enemy
  • Energy - Deal one damage to each character
  • Mental – change into Banner
  • Misc – Remove one threat

I like the idea, and I like that it gives him ways to deal with threat, despite having 0 Thwart. But I wonder if it's too random, especially since conceptually you want the character to have little control over when he flips, but when he does he has explosive turns. With it being too random, there's always the chance that you simply don't flip when you need to, or that you have all the good Hulk cards but are stuck on Banner side or vice versa.

His character cards:

• An attachment that gives him overkill – and it’s discarded when he flips back to Banner?
  • “I’m always angry” – Switch to Hulk, then discard down to hand size
  • “Hulk Smash!” – destroy an attachment etc
  • “Uncontrollable rage” – For the remainder of the turn, each time you destroy a minion you may ready Hulk
  • “A Terror to Behold” – For the remainder of the turn, each time you attack you may remove 1 threat from a scheme

What are your ideas?

I actually think a Rampaging Hulk might make for a better Scenario than a Hero. The MCU has popularised this view of Hulk as a hero, but in the comics there’s a reason he’s kicked out of the Avengers shortly after they were formed, and he rarely interacts as a traditional hero...

What could be really cool would be two Hulk Scenarios - 1st Rampaging Hulk - Hulk is tearing up the area and the heroes have to intervene.

Could flip the traditional Scenario on its head - the scheme is Hulks Rage and starts with lots of threat. He can’t win by scheming out (or perhaps he can, but it’s fairly high - needs to be some mechanics to prevent heroes stalling the game out on their alter ego side), but the heroes have to calm him down before he defeats them all. Perhaps mechanics where they have to deal him some damage before they can reduce the scheme below a certain threshold, but he’s essentially unkillable. Cards have him as a threat to minions and friends a like. Side schemes things like building collapses or other threats to life caused by his rampage.

2nd Scenario - World War Hulk - Hulk and Alien Gladiators are attacking Earth and the heroes have to fight them.

If I were going to make a hero version, I’d probably keep it kind of simple and just expand on the ally card mechanics

Thw: 0

Atk: 4

Def: 1

Ability - Rampage - after Hulk Attacks, discard the top card of his deck

- Physical - deal 2 Damage to any target

- Energy - deal 1 damage to all targets

- Mental - remove 2 threat from 1 scheme

- Wild - flip to Bruce Banner - you cannot flip again this turn.

He could have a few Alter ego cards that specifically deal with threat, but mostly is just about piling the damage on I guess. Might be a bit too random / uncontrollable for some, but I think that’s the difficult balance to strike with a hero Hulk - representing that random nature without making it so the player has no agency...

So cool ideas there! Especially the idea of having him as a scenario at some point!

13 minutes ago, FearLord said:

Side schemes things like building collapses or other threats to life caused by his rampage.

I hope we see more on this in the game in general - to give it a bit more of a sense of space, and adding things like NPCs or innocent members of the public to protect/rescue.

Although it’s an interesting thought experiment, it seems (so far) unlikely that we’ll see any overlap in characters/allies until they’ve expanded the card pools significantly.

Ie no chance of Hawkeye, Hulk, Black Widow, or Daredevil in the immediate future.