finding tiles - tiring me out - Maybe a App upgrade telling me what tiles will be needed first ?

By soulman, in Mansions of Madness

Hello all, got my mansions out on Monday and been playing it, had fun but the amount of tiles i had to keep turning over and over was the one thing draining my soul to keep playing. each time i`m told to find a tile it could take 10+ tiles to find it, and with 2 sides that 20 at least. I do have problems with my hands and wrists which is no helping.

If we had the option of being told which tiles would be needed for this story, then we can find them all in one go place them to one side... the game would flow much quicker..

Hope FF may hear of this..

Thanks All

Alan

Hey Alan,

FFG really doesn't respond to the boards, this is usually community territory. That being said a few ideas that may help include sorting your tiles by symbol, then shape, then indoor/outdoor. Most of the sets have all outdoor on one side and vice versa. this isn't always the case, but at least reduces the tile flipping a little. I'm pretty sure the reason for the tiles not being announced in advance is to keep the story a bit of a mystery.

I color coded the edges of my tiles by expansion. It makes it a lot easier to find the ones I need. I just tell the group to "get Bedroom 1 from the greens" for example.

bQNZlFT.jpg

Am I reading that you have just the Core Set? Pictured above is what I do, the Core Set tiles being at the bottom left pile of the picture.

Separate the tiles into small (rectangle) and medium (square). Then flip all tiles so that they have an Indoor room name facing up (this can be done for most of them, not all, but most). Then organise all Indoor rooms alphabetically. This is not a perfect solution, but it does speed up the game as you can call for a "Name of Tile" and what size it is, and I add if it is an Outdoor tile or one of the few that may not work then you look at the opposite sides.

There's a chart somewhere on Board Game Geek that organises the lot. Our group doesn't even alphabetise them any more, you'll get used to them too as time goes on. :)

thanks i keep these ideas in mind....

I did see on a Facebook group, someone had organised their tiles into pockets in a ring-binder . Each "page" was a 2-pocket sleeve, which fit the 2x1 and 2x2 tiles nicely, with the 2x3 tiles taking up a "page" on their own. You can easily see both sides, and flip through them.

Not sure how they were sorted (I guess by expansion then alphabetically), but you could print out this reference index and stick it in the front, and sort accordingly.

Not sure I can link to it as it was posted to a closed group, but it looked quite easy to search through.

On 9/20/2019 at 5:53 PM, icabod said:

I did see on a Facebook group, someone had organised their tiles into pockets in a ring-binder . Each "page" was a 2-pocket sleeve, which fit the 2x1 and 2x2 tiles nicely, with the 2x3 tiles taking up a "page" on their own. You can easily see both sides, and flip through them.

Not sure how they were sorted (I guess by expansion then alphabetically), but you could print out this reference index and stick it in the front, and sort accordingly.

Not sure I can link to it as it was posted to a closed group, but it looked quite easy to search through.

I do similar to this, but use a concertina file instead. Works well.

I had a similar problem, but just put mine in big zip-lock bags with the expansion symbol painted on. Since the app tells you the symbol and you can see the size, it's usually quite easy to find the piece you are looking for.
But I agree, the option of revealing what tiles will be needed should be present during initial setup. It does detract from the game that you have to spend so much time looking for tiles.
I assume they didn't include that info in order not to spoil what variant the of a given scenario you are playing.

I keep the tiles sorted by expansion not size. Has anyone else noticed you play with just 2 sets of tiles in a scenario. Once the second tile group is known you can put away the other tile sets.

if anyone has any feedback saying that they needed more than two sets of tiles for a scenario let me know.

Yeah, all scenarios only use the base game tiles, and tiles from at most one expansion, so you will never need more than 2 sets of large tiles and two sets of small tiles to go through.

9 hours ago, totgeboren said:

Yeah, all scenarios only use the base game tiles, and tiles from at most one expansion, so you will never need more than 2 sets of large tiles and two sets of small tiles to go through.

I'm pretty sure my last playthrough of Cycle of Eternity was three expansion symbols and none from the base game. Maybe I was wrong but I remember being surprised one room came from a set I wasn't expecting at that point

I have been trying to be aware of that lately and the last 3 times I played it was only 2 tile sets used. The core set is not always used in a scenario.

if you do a run and notice more than 2 tile sets being used let me know. My sample size is too small to say for certain. Being able reduce the number of tiles while freeing up table space has been nice though.

The difference between Descent (which lists tiles at the start) and MoM2 is that MoM is all about discovery. Not knowing what room you are going to enter adds to the mystery and aids with plot twists. If you start in a mansion tile and then are told to put aside the Chasm Tile, thats going to ruin the surprise twist in the scenario, or at the very least set an expectation.

Also the way the app works, its completely possible to 'semi randomly' pick a tile to use. So keeping a track of what tiles can and will be placed to generate a list at the start might be complicated as well. Also if you have played multiple times, the tile list at the start may also elude to the Story variant that you are on, which might be good in some cases or bad in others.

I would recommend having the base game out on the table, then the expansions in piles in the box. When you pull a tile from a new set, you can bring its stack to the table. Most official scenarios only use the base and an expansion (though that may not be the case anymore, from recent play experiences).

Valkyrie scenarios don't always follow that mold, I wrote a scenario (Escape) that semi randomly can pick tiles from any expansion when you open a door. So the map is very randomised.