Looking for clarification on Facedown damage

By skaz1, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

The Westmarch Garb says that Before you suffer Facedown Damage you may prevent 1 of that.

My question is at what point is the "suffering" considered ? so for example when you are instructed to take damage (face up) but the card is then placed facedown because the card instructs you to flip it facedown can that be prevented by the Garb ? or is it only when you are instructed to take facedown damage that it can prevented.

I come from a card playing background so I assumed that if you took damage that you then had to read then you were "suffering" face up damage even if the card immediately instructed you to flip it facedown so the Westmarch Garb would not prevent the damage but other players had said that you were suffering facedown damage.

I can see both points and know that board games tend to be a little bit less precise in their wording so hope someone could clarify.

Thanks in advance

Edited by skaz1
grammar

I've always taken it to mean damage that you receive facedown without ever looking at the card. Certain threat events, for example, give this kind of damage. I do not believe that flipping a damage card over counts as suffering facedown damage, as you already have the card, and hence the damage.

Thanks for that Kjeld, that was exactly as I understood it and I have since had further clarification that that is correct Cheers