1D x 1D

By player3412539, in Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game 30th Anniversary Edition

1D x 1D

I thought I'd mention this. This is one of my go-to throws for particular situations.

There are times in a game where I haven't got a clue to how hard or easy a task should be, and when this happens, I just let fate decide.

For example, off the top of my head, let's say that I've established that the PC's ship has damaged alluvial dampeners. One of the players says (as crafty, intelligent, creative players tend to do), "Hey! We don't have parts...so, why don't we strip the droid. We'll take what we need, jury rig it, and that should do until we can get to a spaceport. What about it, GM? Does the droid have what we need to fix the alluvial dampeners?"

Now, I've got no clue what an "alluvial dampener" is. I heard it in one of the movies, or I read it in a book, or got it somewhere Star Wars related. The ship was broke, and I just used that terminology to sound cool and Star Warsy.

Does the droid have what they need? Does it have something that is close--that they can jury rig and use for one hyperspace jump?

I've got no clue at all. So...

LET FATE DECIDE!

I quickly roll 2D, then I multiply the results together. This gives me a target number of 1-36, which is perfect for a 1E game. That goes from automatic to impossible, and it averages something that can be rolled by a capable character.

I don't use this all the time, but sometimes, it's nice to see what the dice decide. Roll-n-Go, and May the Force Be With You!